𝟎𝟎𝟏

Life is hard

Life is hard.

For some people that is just a statement, they use when they fail a test or their parents say they can't go to the movies with their friends. But for others, this has a more profound meaning. For Elaine Tan that meant having to wake up every day and remember that her little brother was still missing. As she walked out of her room every day she saw the tall slab of Shisham with the golden handle, a door she used to walk into every day to see her brother, the door she would walk out of every night after she kissed him good night.A door that has not been opened in 1 year. Well, 376 days to be precise.

That door was a reminder.

She needed to push harder.

Do more.

Do better.

Be better.

So she did just that. She pushed more schoolwork and more studying hours. She had the idea that Academic Excellence would fill the hole her brother left. It didn't. She wanted it to so she dropped everything else.

Theatre.

Journalism.

Babysitting

It was sad really she loved babysitting. But it was just too painful for her to continue. Not that she would admit it of course. Her excuse would be "Oh it just took up to much time." The sad part was that people actually believed her. Even her own parents.

Ahh.Her parents Jenny and James Tan.Two of the most pitied people in Hawkins. Now there are two ways you can view their life

"The Byers got Will back so Louise might still be out there. Right!"

Or

"What happened to Will was a miracle. Miracles like that don't happen twice."

But you know as they say life is a funny thing.

The once lively Jenny was reduced to a sorrowful mother, who had to mourn her son without knowing if he was dead or not. She much like her husband, still had to work, a job she once loved, now reduced to the means of well, a job. Her husband, James was a detective at Hawkins Police Department and was once a cheerful man, but now he's just a grieving father. Being a detective, he tried to find his son, but when his attempts were futile, it added to the pain. Both parents, still put up brave faces for their daughter. And they made one promise they hoped they could keep. After all, they had one of their children and had to do what any parent would do.

Keep her safe.

But you know as they say life is a funny thing.

So if you were to tell Elaine, a few months ago that she would be babysitting again she would probably laugh in your face. But now she was in her room getting ready to go to the Henderson house. To babysit one of her favourite kids, not that she would ever admit it, Dustin Henderson. Now don't get her wrong, she likes all the kids she babysits but she was relatively close to everyone in the party. From picking them up from school to staying back late at night watching them play D&D, you could even call her an honorary party member.

As she neatly her human anatomy textbooks and notebooks into her bag, she thinks back to the phone call she got from a very frantic Mrs Henderson a few minutes prior. Mrs Henderson called and explained that her cat Mews went missing and she didn't want to leave her 'Dusty' home alone. She also said since it was such short notice that she would pay her twenty dollars extra. She was going to say yes anyway but still accepted.

As she goes downstairs through the kitchen to the front door she hears her mother's voice, "Ok sweetheart you be safe now but have fun!"

She turns to her giving a tight smile muttering a quick 'I will' before she was out the door. But it wasn't the look of sadness or sorrow you would usually, no it was a look of pride and admiration. It looks like things are finally looking up.

Hope you liked it!

Vote and Comment!