chapter two

Chapter Two

Jace

I closed the book and set it down on my lap when I heard light snoring beside me, and looked down to find Jo clutching tightly onto her bear, asleep on my stomach. I push a piece of hair behind her ear, and a small grin pulls at my lips, as my hand lingers against her cheek.

"So you are capable of affection," I jump at the sound of Izzy's voice and snap my head towards her. She was standing in front of Jo's now open bedroom door, leaning against the doorknob, a teasing smile on her face.

"Iz," I sat up carefully, making sure not to wake Jo. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough," she shrugged, before prancing over to us and sitting down at the edge of the bed.

"I didn't even hear you knock," I said.

"Probably cause you were too busy admiring Jo," she replied, glancing at Jo. "Alec said she was a bit tipsy when she got back. You think she's slept enough of it off? The mundie's awake, and she looks like she's got a lot of questions."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"Cause she started asking me a bunch of questions," she said. "So can you wake Jo up? Alec wants us to do 'damage control'."

"Me? Why do I have to do it? You do it," I replied.

"No way," she shook her head. "Do you remember what happened the last time someone tried to wake her up? She nearly sliced Alec's head off."

"That was years ago," I said. "She doesn't still do it."

"Okay, then wake her up," she tilted her head and blinked at me. "But if she retaliates and pulls a knife out from under her pillow to throw at your head, don't say I didn't warn you."

I jokingly rolled my eyes at that, and turned my attention to Jo's sleeping figure.

"Jo," I placed a hand on her shoulder and shook her slightly, but she simply hugged Gus tighter and shifted closer to me. "Jojo." I shook her a little bit more this time, and she fully groaned and turned away from me, one of her hands landing under her pillow. "Jo."

"What?" she snapped, and suddenly turned towards me, causing both Izzy and I to duck. She's got a good aim—better to be safe than sorry.

"Oh, come on," Jo shifted her eyes between us. "You two don't seriously think I still keep knives under my pillow, do you?"

"Well, do you?" Izzy asked, slowly sitting up straight.

"No," Jo held up her empty hand, and I sat up too, as she propped herself up on an elbow. "Now, how dare you disrupt my beauty sleep?"

"The mundie's awake," Izzy told her. "Alec thinks we should talk to her and do some 'damage control'."

"Of course he does," Jo nodded, before sighing. "Fine, just let me grab my robe."

"Great," Izzy jumped to her feet. "Meet us in the infirmary."

Jo threw Izzy a small smile, as she walked out and closed the door behind her, before getting up herself, and walking to the bathroom. She came out a second later in a black silk robe with her hair clipped up.

"Alright, let's get this over with," she said, making her way towards the door. I quickly got up, and followed after her.