Prologue

18 June ( o.s. 5 June ) 1901, Peterhof/Petergof Palace, St. Petersburg

"Nicky, I think the baby is going to - ahhhhh!" Painfully Alexandra screamed. This made Nicholas panicked and the staff.

"Get the doctor quick!" He odered one of his servants. The whole palace staff was worried and panicked, like they don't know what to do, especially with Alix's painful screams.

In any moment, the doctor has finally arrived, and quickly went to the Tsar and Tsarina.

"Your Majesty, don't worry, you are going to be fine" the doctor getting ready for the labor.

○○○

"Push!" The doctor said, while Alix was screaming in pain. Hearing this pain, Nicholas is starting to out of control.

Minutes passed, finally the Tsarina has gave birth.

"Your Majesty, she has given birth" a servant said.

Nikolai then entered, and saw Alix, still in pain.

"Doctor, where is our...children?" Alix asked.

"Twins?" He asked, Alix just slightly nodded.

"Is it a..." Nikolai can't finish his sentence, fearing the doctor will think what kind of father he is.

"Sir, it's a she...and they are twins" sadly the doctor said, and the servant bowed her head.

"We understand, maybe this is not the time. We have to be patient" alix said, she looked at Nikolai with a sad face.

"Where is the twins?" Nikolai asked, the doctor showed him, and Nicholas brought them to their mother.

Alix first carried the first who born, "what do you think is the best name for the first?" She asked her husband.

"Anastasia, Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova" he said.

Then Alix carried the second one, "I like to name her...Anna, close to the name Anastasia. What do you think nicky?"

"It's fine by me, Anna Nikolaevna Romanova" he then frowned, "I'm so sorry Alix, but you know we can't" The Russian people, the court, and their extended family will be very disappointed. The court has warned them about having too many daughters, only one can add if isn't a boy who is born today"

"Oh Nicky, they are our children" Alix managed to cry a little.

"Anastasia will stay, but Anna..." Nikolai can't finish, it was also a heart break to him, even though it's a little disappointing.

Alix was quietly sobbing.

"I am so sorry" Nikolai said.

"What are we going to do then?" She asked.

Nikolai wandered around and saw his maid.

"What is your name?" He pointed at her.

Nervously, "Ekaterina, your Majesty".

"Ekaterina, we want you to...adopt our daughter Anna" this made her eyes widened.

"M-me? Adopt the Grand Duchess Anna?"

"Yes" Alix replied.

"Take good care of her Ekaterina" the tsar said

"So it means you are going to keep Anna a secret from the other family?" She asked.

"Yes. If the court knows about this, worst circumstances will happen to Anna, and I can't let that happen" he explained.

"We are going to tell that Anastasia is the only one who is born today" the doctor said, and the couple nodded.

Nikolai stood up and get something, a box.

"Here, when she is old enough, let her wear this" he pulled a beautiful necklace.

"Please love her as your true child" alix said with tears.

"I will, your Majesties" then something has came up in her mind, "sir, how will I explain, I just can't tell that I gave birth, it is unbelievable"

"Are you single or married?" The tsar asked.

"Single, I am only 20 sir" she said.

"Tell them that you saw Anna in a garbage, that, you know, her parents...aba-abandoned her" he quietly sobbed inside, he felt so guilty about it.

Ekaterina just nodded.

"Go to a secret passageway, so no one can see you" Nikolai added.

"Goodbye my Anna" Alix and Nikolai kissed their child on the forehead.

One day, destiny will bring them together.