16

I soon realised that Aileen would much rather call me names of sweet things instead of my actual name. Instead of Melissa, or even Mellie, she would call me Honey, Sugar, and yes, Sweetie.

"Honey," she said now, eyeing my plate. We had been in the shop for a little over an hour now, and I was focused mostly on my tea rather than the sandwich in front of me. "You've hardly touched your food."

Damn, I was hoping she wouldn't notice. I had cut my mushroom sandwich in half first, then into fourths, then into eighths, and by then all the contents were spilling out. I picked at the pieces, hoping Aileen would think I was actually eating. But apparently she observed more than I gave her credit for.

"I'm really not that hungry though," I murmured, hoping she'd drop it.

Aileen narrowed her eyes at me, in a way I could only describe as mom-like, before calling the attention of one of the baristas.

Aileen reached out for my plate and gave it to the barista who approached our table. He smiled at both of us but I dropped his gaze quickly when our eyes met.

"Please pack this up for us, Zack." Aileen said, her eyes dropping down quickly to the guy's name tag. The way she said it, all warm and friendly, made it seem like she had known him since forever.

"Of course," Zack said, giving Aileen a polite smile before he looked at me again and shyly bowed his head.

I looked away the second he stepped back, and I busied myself again with the cup of tea that was now way too cold and way too bitter because I let it seep too long. But this cup of tea was better than a sandwich though. I could have at least fifty cups of it and still have taken in less amount of calories than eating the sandwich that Aileen had ordered for me.

"He's cute," Aileen said suddenly, making me almost spit my tea out.

"What?" she asked defensively as I looked at her wide-eyed and with a suspicious look on my face.

"I could totally set you two up, you know?" she said casually, as if she did this all the time. And actually, I didn't doubt that she did do this all the time.

"That's not necessary," I said for the umpteenth time that day. "Totally not necessary." Because who the hell would date a whale like me? Who in their right mind would even give me a second glance? If Jasper could do it but only by forcing himself, then Zack the cute barista wouldn't be able to look at me like that either.

Aileen just shrugged, but I saw the glimmer in her eyes. And sure enough, when I saw Zack emerge from the counter with a paper bag in his hands and a small, polite smile on his lips, Aileen cleared her throat, as if preparing herself for whatever it is she was planning on doing.

I chose that exact moment to go to the restroom, even though I already went three times since we got here. I just excused myself and fast-walked and avoided Zack as he walked to our table and Aileen, who was grinning all evilly and teasingly in a way only a mom can.

I splashed cold water to my face and took my precious time in drying off. When I had counted to myself that I had been inside the bathroom for two and a half minutes, I went back out to sit with Aileen.

She was still sitting there, her posture straight and her legs crossed as she drank her coffee. I sat down across her again for the fourth time in that small coffee shop and she smiled around her mug when she saw me.

"Saturday, 5:30, at the cinemas," was all she said as she nodded towards the paper bag sitting neatly in the middle of our table.

I closed my eyes and groaned, hitting my forehead with my palm.