Charlie - Part 2

A few minutes later, they came to a building adjacent to the Grand Hall of Truth and Justice, where the men were temporarily separated from the woman for the strip search and mental examination to make sure they were who they appeared to be. Gelrad read the men's minds himself, once he'd searched their clothing to make sure they weren't carrying Amulets of Mind Protection, and he laughed and joked all the while to lighten the mood, conscious of how embarrassed and vulnerable they must be feeling in the presence of a fully dressed person. Then, when it was over, they joined up with the women again and were taken towards the room where the other members of their expedition were waiting to meet them, along with the special equipment that had been prepared for them.

     On the way, though, an older man dressed in flowing white robes called out to them, and they stopped to see what he wanted. “Andricus!” exclaimed Gelrad in surprise. “What is it? Is anything wrong?”

     “It’s Cedrus,” said Andricus apologetically as he caught up with them. “I’m afraid he’s been called away. Something urgent came up, and he had to leave immediately to deal with it.”

     “Damn!” swore Gelrad. “When will he be back?”

     “Can’t say,” replied Andricus. “At least a month, maybe more.”

     Gelrad swore again. “Cedrus was to have been your guide,” he explained to the six questers. “He’s the only one who knows the way to the Underworld.” He turned back to the newcomer. “Get him back right away. The recovery of the Sword of Retribution is of the utmost importance.”

     “More important than the survival of Fort Dirk?” asked Andricus. “It’ll fall within two weeks unless he can lead the Four of Fendoom to it, and he’s the only one who knows how to find Loreless Pass. Every other access to the city is held by the enemy.”

     “Surely there must be someone else who can lead a bunch of wizards through a hidden pass!” exclaimed the paladin in exasperation. “What about Kenriss?”

     “Kenriss is dead,” replied Andricus sadly, “and we’ve been unable to get in touch with Dopandel, Clambaster, Harriman or anyone else who might, might mark you, know the way. I’m sorry, Gelrad.”

     “Does that mean the mission’s off?” asked Shaun, who didn't look happy at the prospect of having to explain it to Resalintas.

     “Unless we can find someone else who knows the way to the Underworld,” replied the Paladin. “Is there anyone else, Will? Anyone at all?”

     “No,” replied Andricus sadly. “I’ve already checked. There’s no-one at all on this island, and it would take far too long to check all our contacts all over the continent. It would be quicker to simply wait for Cedrus to get back. If we’re lucky, it might be as little as four weeks.”

     Gelrad had detected something in the older man’s voice, though. “There is someone, isn’t there? You do know of someone, don’t you?”

     “Well...”

     “Out with it, William.”

     “You’re not going to like it.”

     “Let me be the judge of that. Now spill!”

     “Well, the cthillian delegates are still on the island, hammering out the details of their temporary non-aggression pact with Lanaris, and since they actually live in the Underworld...” He broke off when he saw the expression on the paladin’s face and the three wizards gaping in slack jawed horror. “I told you you wouldn’t like it,” he said quietly.