three

♩♪ ♫

♩♪ ♫

╒════════════════╕
𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑 𝟿𝚝𝚑, 𝟷𝟿𝟹𝟹
𝚁𝚘𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛, 𝙽𝚎𝚠 𝚈𝚘𝚛𝚔
╘════════════════╛

Carlisle stayed with the younger immortal for a while before he had to leave, needing to see a patient once more before he headed home for the day. It left the boy with nothing else to do but flip through what seemed to be an endless pile of charts and records.

"Dr. Cole?" A voice called from his open door, causing him to look up and see a timid nurse standing in the doorway.

A polite smile came to his face as he set the pen down, folding his hands on top his his desk. "Beatrice," He said kindly to the young woman. "What can I do for you?"

"There is a- a new patient in wing two." She stammered out, his eyes darting all around. "They requested you specifically."

Cardwell nodded, slowly rising from his desk. "Thank you for informing me. Inform them I will be with them in just a moment."

The girl nodded and turned, quickly scurrying away from the, apparently, intimidating doctor. Letting out a quiet chuckle, the Cole boy picked his white coat up off the back of his chair. After grabbing the things he needed from his office, he followed the same path that the nurse had taken towards wing two.

It didn't take him long to get to the nurses station of said wing, collecting the paperwork for his new patient and making his way towards the room. He knocked softly on the door before opening it.

A man was standing inside, his arms crossed over his chest in what could only be assumed as a stance of authority. His patient, however, was a girl who appeared much younger; one that the immortal recognized from the park just a couple days prior.

Her blonde hair was tied back neatly at the back of her head. She sat straight, with her hands folded neatly in her lap with her eyes cast down towards the floor. But when the boy entered the room, her head tilted up and her gaze landed on him. A bruise was already forming on her cheek bone just below her left eye.

"Ah, Dr. Cole," The man said, his tough facade falling away slightly as he moved to shake the boy's hand. "Royce King, pleasure to meet you."

Cardwell smiled politely, returning his gesture and greeting him with a shake of his hand. He didn't fail to miss how the man seemed taken aback by his temperature, but not commenting and dropping his hand soon after.

The doctor glanced down at the chart. "So, Miss Hale, why don't you explain to me what exactly happened." He looked back up, his topaz eyes locking onto her brown ones.

"I-"

"She tripped on the steps at home." The King man interrupted his betrothed. "Bless her. Must've went down them too quick."

The immortal let out a gentle sigh, unheard by the humans in the room. "Apologies, Mr. King, but I did ask Miss Hale." He ignored the way the man glared at him and turned back to the blonde. "Miss Hale?"

Her eyes widened slightly, surprised that the boy actually asked her and not just listened to what Royce had said. "I, uh..." She nervously looked at the man before looking back at the doctor. "I fell. Missed one of the stairs and hit my head, is all."

"We just want to make sure she doesn't have a concussion or anything," The older man piped in. "You understand."

Cardwell nodded, turning to the man who stood off to the side. "Of course. Mr. King, if you wouldn't mind stepped outside while I examine Miss Hale."

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused. It is protocol, you see." The Cole boy motioned towards the door. It seemed a silent battle was going on as the gentlemen looked at each other, but with a huff, the man finally left.

Once the door was closed with a soft click, the doctor turned back to his patient. Her shoulders fell in what the boy could only assume to be relief, a gentle sigh falling from her pink tinted lips.

"Alright, Miss Hale, look here." The boy pointed his finger up, holding a flashlight in the other, and the girl obeyed.

It was silent as the man examined her. That is, until she spoke up. "Rosalie."

"Hmm?"

"Call me Rosalie." She said, her eyes lifting up to his as the flashlight was turned off. Her lips tilted up slightly in an attempt of a smile.

The Cole boy smiled back. "Well, Rosalie, now that we're away from unwanted company, why don't you tell me what really happened."

♩♪ ♫