Wattpad Original
There are 39 more free parts

Chapter 23: Dining with Demons

As I came closer, I realized that the High Prince's was elevated on a platform almost knee-high. On his left, the King settled onto an even higher platform, and left of that, the Queen's platform rose higher than all the rest. To my right, several platforms tapered down toward the last chair, which rested on the mossy tiles.

Though the Guardian Leader always sat at the same level as the rest of us, the symbolic meaning of the platforms seemed clear: the Queen ruled supreme over all the Demons, followed by the King. I imagined the High Princess would have been next if one had been born, but since their only heir was Isalio, he took the spot beside the King.

As I slipped down to my knees on the mat, I wondered just how much power the Demon beside me held. How strange that the Queen and King had risked their only heir in this last mission. How had they been sure Borgal could stop us from killing him? And had they really not cared if he was tortured?

The General ambled toward the platform on my right. A crisp uniform sharpened his edges, and his clear gaze bespoke loyalty and honor. I tensed, glancing at Isalio. After what I had seen, I did not want the General anywhere near me—and I had to admit, I didn't want him near Isalio, either.

Isalio cocked an eyebrow at the General. "General, have you forgotten yourself? That's the Duchess's seat."

His arrogant drawl matched his posture, slouched with his legs stretched out in front of him. Just the slight tremor in his hands hinted at the bewildering other side of him I had seen—at the man who had folded into a bow before me with greater devotion and more absolute submission than the human who now served him.

"I apologize, High Prince," the General said smoothly. "I was unaware she planned to attend this evening's dinner."

"I asked her to come," said Isalio, a little less confidently. His eyes drifted toward the room's several entrances. "I'm sure she's on her way."

The Demon on Isalio's left twirled his mustache and clucked his tongue in sympathy. "Darling boy, the Duchess listens to no one—not you, not me, and not even the Queen! I don't know why we even allow her to stay in the palace, when she acts like she doesn't have to—"

"We allow her, King," said the Queen, "Because she's the Duchess." Her voice was calm and quiet, yet the King cut off with a gulp. The Queen smiled at Danif. "However, since she is not here today, I don't see why the General cannot take her place. Unless the High Prince has some problem with it?"

The Queen, the King, and the General all watched Isalio. Isalio's smile matched the Queen's. "No, of course not, Queen."

"I have a problem with it," said a voice from across the room. The Duchess strode toward us, clad in the same skin-tight leather jacket and pants I had seen her in before. The Rogabeast weaved around her high-heeled combat boots as she approached. "I'll be sitting in that chair, thank you."

"My apologies, Duchess," the General murmured, shuffling toward the seat further right.

"No need to apologize, General," she said, flopping onto the chair with enough force that the chair tipped onto its back legs. "After all, I'm sure you'll never make the mistake of trying to steal my seat again."

The King sputtered, eyes flashing between the Queen and the General. "So we will simply allow this blatant disrespect for our General—for our family?"

"She's family too," the Queen reminded him, sounding a bit tired. She waved a hand at the humans lined up across the room awaiting instruction. "Now then, let us dine."

The raised platform and the slight curve of the table allowed a clear view of the five Demons all seated on the same side and of the human servants, who moved freely along the other side, filling glasses and transferring food to plates. They wore matching blouses and pressed slacks far more expensive than the clothing I had seen any free humans wearing, and their skin was smooth and unblemished, even on their arms.