Chapter 2: Red Liberty

Cassidy's POV

I don't remember crawling out of the shower and into my bed. I don't sleep. Instead I just lie there and think about my life. Something in me kicks me out of bed. I go to my side table and grab my orange pill bottle. I pop two of my prescribed pills and get back to packing my room up. I don't really care that it's 1 am. It needs to get done, one way or another. I start on one side of my room and finish at 8:30 am. Abner started taking my boxes and putting them in the u haul. Sophie doesn't bring up yesterday, but she still makes conversation with me as we disassemble my furniture.

"You said you and Abner have a daughter, how old is she?" I ask.

"Chloe, is turning 15 in three weeks. She couldn't miss school or any of her sports so she didn't come out." Sophie explains.

"Understandable." I respond. "Will I have chores and other things to do?" I ask.

"Yes, you and Chloe will have to do small chores around the house, like wash dishes, take out the garbage, feed the dogs, and other small things." Sophie explains. "And considering you do have your licence and a car, you might have to take Chloe to some of her practices."

"Sounds easy enough. You also said dogs?" I ask.

"Yes, we have two German Shepherd cross chocolate labs. Dex and Daphne." Sophie explains.

"Nice, will I have my own room?" I ask and Sophie laughs.

"Of course honey, what did you think you'd bunk in with Chloe?" She giggles. I laugh too. "We converted the attic to a guest room, but now you can move in there. It has a private bathroom, and lots of room for you and your stuff." Sophie explains.

"Okay thank you. Would I be able to get a job as well?" I ask, and Sophie nods.

"Of course, I own the florist shop in town so you can work for me or anywhere else in town." I nod. As we finish disassembling my room. I help Abner load my furniture. Then I let Sophie deal with my parents' things. I can go through them later when I'm ready. The relator came and met with us. She will begin showing the house and once it is sold, the money will be put into a savings account for me for school. We pack up their Dodge Durango, and my Red Liberty, lock up the house and take off. I spend most of my time driving, just listening to my spotify. Not thinking all that much. We reach Richmond, Virginia and pull over to stop for the night. By this point I'm absolutely exhausted. We stop at the Super 8, I get changed into my pyjamas in the bathroom then crawl in the queen bed. My head hits the pillow and I'm out. A dreamless sleep.

**********************************************************

I'm awoken to an alarm clock, I slump out of bed and head to the bathroom. Changing into some jean shorts and a black and white polka dot tank top. I throw my hair in a top knot and slide my sunglasses on my face. No one really talks until we get coffee.

"Well we really should get on the road." Abner says giving his wife a kiss and we are on the road. As we cross state lines I notice the beauty and the uniqueness of every state. Before I know it we are welcomed by a "Welcome to Scranton! Population 932" I follow Sophie's Silver Durango down a side street and we stop in front of a rather large farmhouse. On the wrap around porch I see a young blonde girl, reading a book with two dogs on either side of her. I'm assuming that's Chloe. We pull into the driveway, and I park on the street. I shut off my car and get out. I look around and see the whole street looks like Sophie and Abner's house. It's quiet and lovely. Down the street I see three guys working on a car, the hood is up and I notice the beer cans scattered. One guy looks up from under the hood, and smiles. He hits the other two and they all look my way. I ignore them and walk up to Sophie who is on the porch talking to Chloe.

"Mrs. Brooks called about those flowers for her son's wedding." The girl explains. Sophie nods and makes her way inside.

"Oh Chloe, this is Cassidy. Aunt Lily and Uncle Nate's Daughter." Sophie explains, before walking off.

"Hi." I say awkwardly.

"Hi." Chloe says nicely. "Sit down." She says gesturing to sit next to her. I sit down and I am instantly greeted by two dogs. "This is Dex and Daphne." Chloe says petting the one with a Blue collar. The one I'm petting has a pink collar so I'm assuming this is Daphne.

"Chloe, and Cassidy come help me unload!" Abner shouts. Chloe and I stand up and go help. We both take some boxes, when the three boys from earlier come and offer to help. The first one has a backwards Panther's ballcap, the next one is wearing a Lake City Lions t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off, and the last one has a straw cowboy hat on.

"Hey Mr. Moore." The Straw Cowboy says.

"Hi Willard, how's your mama?" Abner responds.

"Freaking out 'bout Silas' Wedding next week." He says casually. "You want some help?" He asks and Abner nods.

"Here you boys follow Chloe." Abner explains. Willard and the Lake City Lions T-shirt guy pick up my vanity, while the last guy wearing a panther's ball cap guy is left with me.

"Austin, you and Cassidy can carry her bed up right?" Abner asks. This Austin guy nods and I grab the opposite side. As we are carrying my mattress the guy speaks up.

"So why are you moving in with Abner and Sophie?" He asks politely.

"They are my godparents." I say bluntly, not wanting to say the truth.

"Does that mean you can't live with your parents anymore?" He asks.

"You can say that." I mutter.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I touched on a sensitive subject. I'm Austin." He introduces.

"Thanks, I'm Cassidy." I say. We get the mattress up the stairs and see the two other boys screwing around with Chloe.

"Willard! Caden! Put me down!" She hollers and giggles. They set her down but as we are walking back down the stairs, the straw hat guy picks me up. I scream and lock my arms around his neck.

"Damn this girl has got some strong vocal cords." He jokes but doesn't put me down. I notice Sophie's durango take off down the road.

"Mom has to go deal with a Wedding bouquet." Chloe explains and the straw hat guy puts me down.

"By the way, I'm Willard Brooks." He says extravagantly bowing in front of me. I'm confused so I curtsy to him and respond.

"I'm Lady Cassidy Taylor." He laughs and the other guy jumps on his back.

"Cade you fucking tard get off me!" Willard shouts. Abner ignores the two boys, while him and Austin bring more furniture upstairs. We get all the furniture upstairs and I begin arranging it like I want it. Chloe helps me get my posters up and pictures.

"Who's this?" She asks, holding up a picture of my old friends.

"No one important." I close the top of the box, and stuff them in my desk drawer. I throw blankets on my bed and the next thing I know I'm out.

***********************************************************************************************

Thank you for reading the second chapter of Pathfinder! Hope you enjoyed it! 

Remember to Vote, comment, and keep reading!

JKennedy1818