CHAPTER 12 - BALGA

At the entrance of the city, everything was flat, and the movement of people and carts was more intense. A crowd was busy building a wall and a gateway made of tightly fitted stones.

- Does this wall surround the whole city, Uncle? I asked curiously.

- Yes, all the way to the entrance of the castle road, everything is under protection! He replied.

- And why didn't they include the castle?

- Well, it is already a fortress. The part facing the bay has a counterforce and a powerful set of smoothbore cannons. In addition, if I am very much mistaken, the Bishop himself did not make a point of this integration!

- Heavy work has been going on for a few years now. The luck of these poor devils is that the stones that are being used are nearby, and the Order is paying them correctly. A few years ago, they would have received whippings instead of a few weekly tithes!

The Citadel itself was very well built, conveying a solidity that was very impressive to anyone entering it for the first time. The main street was wide and held well all the people, carts and horses that circulated frantically at that hour of the morning. Most of the houses were of two floors and alternated between stone and clay brick buildings like those in the castle. At the end of the main street, a large circle opened up where most, if not all, of the merchants in the area were concentrated. It was the Market Square, where a profusion of colors and aromas invaded my senses. Inebriated, I didn't know where to look, there was everything. The market traders shouted mercilessly, offering food, cloth, spices, furs, weapons, and utensils and ornaments ranging from pewter to gold. The smell in the air danced between tasty roasted meats, to exotic spices from the East. Our first customer was a large, heavy Nordic man who welcomed us enthusiastically.

- Aldo my friend, welcome, it has been a long time, huh?

- Larz, my old friend, yes it has been a while since I have been to Balga, mainly because I have no packages to deliver. Now I have the help of my dear nephew, a true iron artisan, and a genius for metalworking machinery. He...!

- Uncle, please! I decided to interrupt him.

- Oh sure, sure, let's get down to business! So Larz, three saws, 4 sickles and 4 hoes, correct?

- Exactly right, Aldo! Confirmed Larz as he examined the tools in detail.

- Aldo, you are right, these tools are very different from the ones you used to hand me. Look at the handle of this saw, the finish, and the edge of the sickles. First-rate work! Said the man, genuinely surprised.

- Yes, Larz is a double-handled saw, a novelty he brought back from Torun. As I told you, my nephew is a true artisan, very detailed and precise in the making of the tools. I confess that I did not expect to get to this point in my life and find out that I still have a lot to learn! The uncle now assumed a somewhat shy, almost embarrassed look I would say.

- Master Aldo, we have to go, there are still many deliveries to make! I alerted, already fed up with the compliments.

We followed the square, winding our way between the stalls.

- Further, we will have to split up boy, take the cart and make two small deliveries to the streets across the square. The third and biggest will be at the General Hospital! Uncle advised.

- By all means! I agreed enthusiastically. Free now to explore a bit more.

At the end of the square, Uncle turned right towards a new row of stalls, and I took the left, dragging the cart with the tools. I made both deliveries and arriving at the hospital gate, I met two Teuton guards, upon identifying myself I was directed to the infirmary. There, a small, very friendly nurse welcomed me at the entrance with a warm smile.

- Good morning, my name is Rayd and I come on behalf of the master blacksmith Aldo Garzuliz. I am here to deliver some tools and instruments. Whom should I talk to?

- Good morning, I'm Nurse Agne, come with me, the head nurse is looking forward to these deliveries! She replied solicitously.

We walked through a long courtyard that ended in a staircase, which led up to the upper rooms. I left the car in the courtyard and followed the woman.

- We have arrived, this way please, it's head nurse Marielle's room!

In the background at a table, a young woman was standing with her head down and her full attention focused on a series of papers.

Marielle the equipment has arrived! Greeted Nurse Agne.

The girl then looked away from the papers to me, staring at me with big blue eyes that were both cold and bright. They were like two blue stars twinkling on a moonless night. I confess that I was again overcome by a strange sensation, but unlike the sensation caused by the sight of the castle; this one was warm and pleasant. My gut rumbled. A shiver ran through my body and an unexpected sweat began to pour from my forehead. I was so scared that I didn't even bother to wipe it off; I didn't understand what was happening.

- So, what have you brought to us? Declared the girl, snapping me out of my daze.

- Oh, oh yes I'm sorry, it's the first time I have delivered for my uncle, I'm a bit confused!

"Don't be pathetic, man!" I thought.

- Are you Aldo's nephew? I didn't know they had relatives nearby. Said the young woman, being nice.

- Actually not that close, I'm from Torun! I clarified.

- Torun! In addition, what brought you from so far away? Questioned the one called Agne.

- My uncles needed help in the blacksmith shop and since I have many brothers, I wouldn't be missed that much in my own home! I lied naturally, to avoid further explanations that I didn't really have.

- Oh, well! Agne please check and pay the boy please. Come back as soon as you can, we still have a lot to check! Finished the girl, as she returned to her papers.

I tried to leave as slowly as possible while pretending to pack something in my bag. I needed to enjoy a few more moments of the sight of this magnificently intriguing woman. To be able to appreciate her shape, her splendidly shiny black hair, her white complexion, and again try to meet her gaze. My persistence was rewarded; the girl gave me a second, even more intriguing look. It conveyed a slight sympathy, perhaps an interest I wanted my vanity to believe. Maybe I was fooling myself, but I was loving the whole thing. From that moment on, my heart never stopped. I needed to find her again, no matter what. I turned around, smiled at Nurse Agne and we headed for the warehouse.

- Very busy nurse, what was her name again? I mentioned covertly.

- Nurse Marielle, and yes, we are going through many problems and she is practically at the center of them. Helping both the Sheriff and our hospital chief. Terrible crimes are occurring in the County, and they are far from a definite solution!

Awful crimes...How? I asked intrigued.

- Yes, terrible, mutilated bodies, many missing, very dear and important people among the inhabitants of Balga, including...! Then Agne fell silent.

Including? I tried to insist.

Well, this is an extremely delicate subject; I would prefer not to comment any further! Said the woman hurriedly. She paid me and then dismissed me, sending her regards to my aunt and uncle.