CHAPTER 14 - THE COLLECTORS

The Briedis, the Kairys, and the Astrauskas were families united by their common work, blood, and political convictions. The wives were two sisters and a cousin, and the husbands had worked together harvesting and selling the mushrooms since the end of the battles against the Teutonic invasion. There were twelve people in total, the three couples and their six children. They were following in a small wagon train to the swampy region of the peninsula, just north of Balga. A region that is difficult to access, but rich in several species of edible mushrooms, much appreciated by residents throughout the County. Dead man's trumpet, sulfur shelf, porcine fungus, thistle mushroom, Lenten jar, and on a very lucky day the truffles. The famous truffles of the peninsula. Everyone got good prices in the Market Square, but the truffles were for the richest, those who could pay the most. They more than tripled the expenses of the trip. Harvesting lasted two days and was done on Thursdays and Fridays. This way they could have fresh mushrooms ready for sale on Saturday and Sunday.

The first day was very productive. It was almost ten pounds of truffles, and over forty of the other species of mushrooms. Impressive even for them, used to the task. As the sun went down, they and the children left. As usual, everyone gathered around the campfire and stood enjoying the sunset singing beautiful old songs. It was like a ritual of thanksgiving to the generous Mother Nature, for providing their sustenance. Once finished, the men stowed the packages in the special compartment under the wagon. There each variety was stored separately. Meanwhile the women were preparing dinner, a feast by the way. Lamb leg with cherovies, salted flour paste with mushrooms, a huge roasted sturgeon, caught the day before, and a herring fry. Everyone sat happily hungry around the campfire and attacked the food while talking about the day. At the end of dinner, the men remained around the campfire while the women put the little ones to sleep.

- For the Lady of the Dawn, I would give anything to know what the boys have gotten herself into! Said Arnas.

- That's the way they are! It's not the first time they have lost track of time hunting around Elk. Once they even crossed the border, which caused them some trouble with a tribe of Natangios from Lithuania! Said Jonas between a sip of wine.

- Have they gone that far? Denis exclaimed.

- I don't know, but I'm worried, you know, some things that have been going on and everything else...! Arnas turned darkly.

- My friends, let's not worry, they will show up, they are great hunters and just like us, warriors who know how to take care of themselves. Let's lie down and rest our bodies, because tomorrow we have another hard day's work, and if it's anything like today's, we will guarantee a peaceful winter! Jonas exclaimed optimistically.

Everyone smiled happily and made a last toast, smiling and looking into the forest. Denis first noticed.

- But what is that among the trees, over there to the left of your wagon, Arnas?

Everyone turned around and saw the pair of red eyes that stood out in the darkness some distance away, subtle but visible.

- Come on, two rounds at the One-Eyed Boar for the one who gets it right between those two curious eyes, get your crossbows! Said Jonah, opening the bets.

Everyone ran silently to the wagon and returned with their weapons ready for firing.

- Me first! Declared Jonah, who lay down next to one of the quiver. As he dispatched the arrow into the darkness, the eyes went out and reappeared about 10 meters to the right, further down the road. Everyone blinked without understanding how fast the animal had moved.

- But what kind of thing goes so fast and backwards? Whispered Denis intrigued.

Outraged, they gathered for a triple shot, from which no animal should escape. They heard a loud squeak and then the eyes disappeared.