A Party to Remember

Cooper was tired, so very tired. 

'Who knew that mining for water would be such a challenge,' Cooper reflected, as she was preparing to eat her second meal of the day. 

Cooper thought back to a month ago when she and Watanabe had all but dragged Anderson to med bay. The doctor had put Anderson on three days of strict bedrest. 

'If the tanks weren't all but filled with water, I'd go down to med bay to get a few days off myself,' Cooper thought as she took the lid off of her meal. 

"Yes! Bacon and eggs with toast and jam," she muttered with a smile. Since the mess hall was all but empty, it really didn't matter if she muttered or screamed that observation since she was alone, there was no-one around to hear her.

'Lieutenant Smith had been right,' she realized as she ate her meal. 'All three asteroids contained a lot of water in them.'

The fact was that the largest of the three, the type S or stony asteroid had been mostly ice covered in a layer of stony regolith. That was the one that the captain had ultimately decided to mine. 

That was when she discovered her fork was empty. She had eaten all of her eggs while on autopilot.

'Damn!' she realized. 'I must be even more tired than I thought.'

As she took her tray back to the tray return the cook caught her and handed her an emergency ration.

"What's this for?" Cooper asked, totally bewildered.

"The captain has arranged for a celebration tonight. Crew only. That means that they did not invite you six. So, this is your dinner," The cook explained.

"At least this means that I can sleep through dinner," Cooper said.

"It's going to be a long party. You might get to sleep all night if you want to."

"That would be nice," Cooper said. "Thank you for the ration and for the heads up."

"You're welcome," the cook responded. "Sleep well."

---

When Cooper got to her quarters, it surprised her to find the other five candidates chatting in front of their assigned bunks.

"Glad you could make it," Simmons said in a joking manner.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world," Cooper replied.

"Looks like the gang is all here," Anderson said with a grin.

'Yes, this is the first time all six of us have been together since the first two days onboard." Watanabe said.

"There is nothing quite like not being invited to a party," Kobayoshi said.

"I'm glad that they did not invite us," Johnson groused. "I prefer the solitude of my cubby."

"Yes, there is nothing like sleeping in a coffin to make you feel at home," Cooper said.

Johnson simply cut Cooper a nasty look as he climbed into his bunk, activating the webbing, and cutting off the light.

"He always has to be buzzkill," Anderson said, causing everyone present to bust out laughing.

---

The remaining candidates stood around chatting and catching up with each other. It turned out that each of them had spent the first month or so in a single department before they started a rapid rotation in other departments. Simmons had been the only one who had a concentration in two departments, namely because Cooper had asked for his help by name.

Kobayoshi and Simmons had spent most of their time on the bridge, albeit on opposing shifts. Watanabe and Anderson had both worked in the science departments also on alternate shifts. 

Anderson then volunteered the information that Johnson had worked in engineering on shifts opposite of Cooper.

"So that was why I never ran into him," Cooper remarked.

"Lucky you," Simmons said. 

This caused everyone to chuckle.

"I wonder why they didn't have Johnson help with the reactor replacement," Cooper pointed out.

Simmons replied, "I think it boiled down to who fit in with the rest of engineering as opposed to technical ability. Besides, it gave us some time to work together. It was almost like old times."

"Yes, it was like old times."

"You two are lucky to have gone to the same academy," Watanabe said. "It gives both of you a distinct advantage over the rest of us."

"Not really," Cooper responded. "We just work well together."

"That's the other advantage," Kobayoshi said.

"What do you mean?" Cooper responded.

"You are friendly and so is Simmons," Kobayoshi replied. "You both have a tendency to attract people and motivate them to work their best. Having good people skills is a very important part of leadership."

Cooper just shrugged. "I just treat people how I would like to be treated. What about you Simmons?"

"It's about the same way with me. Do unto others as you would have them to do unto you."

"While they taught this to us in school, very few people act that way in the real world," Anderson said while silently pointing at her fellow candidate from the GUSA who was already gently snoring in his cubby. 

"Even in the Empire of Nippon they taught us death before dishonor. That we should act honorably to everyone around us. Few, however, actually act the way," Watanabe explained. "You two actually seem to live that way and inspire those around you to act that way as well."

"Naw, I just act nice so you will give me your extra packets of catsup."

This caused everyone to burst into a fit of laughter.

---

As their impromptu party went on, more people drifted off to their cubby and went to sleep. In the end, only Cooper and Watanabe were left.

"I swear to you that the Empire of Nippon will not allow a woman to become captain of Hope. In fact, they may even object to a female becoming first officer."

"I find that very hard to believe. All women are equal to men under Alliance law."

"That is how it appears on paper, but things are very different in practice," Watanabe insisted. "Our society is still very patriarchal when compared to the other two empires."

"That's pretty sad," Cooper admitted. "Of course, the women in the West also have to wear neo-Victorian corsets and petti -coats back on Earth. It's only when you go off-world that the clothing becomes truly egalitarian. Can you imagine wearing a hoop skirt in low G?"

Watanabe laughed at the thought.

"Getting back on topic, what do you think will happen if a woman makes the highest score?"

"If they follow the traditions of Earth, they will probably bump the male candidate with the highest score to captain and make the female first officer," Watanabe said. "That is assuming that the emperor doesn't interfere further. "

"Well, on that depressing note, I am off to bed," Cooper said. "Good night, Watanabe."

"Oyasuminasai Cooper-san."

---