The End of the Beginning

Word of their promotions spread like wildfire. Cooper had barely made it to the lifts before people began congratulating her. 'I bet everyone is getting the VIP treatment, well everyone but Johnson,' Cooper mused as she shook a fellow officer's hand for the fifth time. 'However, I will be late for my shift if this keeps up.'

When she finally made it to the bridge, she did so with only seconds to spare. "Cutting it close are we Commander?" said the Lexington's First Officer as Cooper slid into an empty seat.

"Yes, sir."

"Don't sir me Cooper. We're both the same rank as of today. In fact, if you want to take over for me, I wouldn't mind."

"No thank you XO, but I won't mind taking over for a few minutes if you need to use the head," Cooper responded with a devilish smile on her face.

"Well, that is helpful," he said with a chuckle. "However, you might want to try it out sometimes. You need some time in the command chair before they set you loose on Hope."

"So, I take it that the rest of my time on the Lexington will be a daily shift on the bridge?"

"Both you and Simmons will have that in common."

"Well, it makes sense," Cooper said. "We will both be in the command chair a lot over the next forty years."

"Yes, you will," he agreed with a smile. Then his expression became even more grave. "By the way, Cooper, the captain told me the reason for your rank. Both of us think that isn't fair, but we can't do anything about it. Even the top brass thinks it stinks."

"Thank you for that, XO. It means a lot."

---

"So, the Sendai will rendezvous with us in four weeks. Everyone but Johnson will then continue on their mission," Captain Wilson announced to the group of newly commissioned officers.

"Sir, was the breakdown of the Sendai also part of the test?" Cooper asked.

"Yes, Cooper it was," the captain admitted. "It kept the five of you from becoming too 'spoiled' during the training mission. By learning first-hand how life is aboard an older ship, it should make you more appreciative of life on Hope. Heck, the cabins for senior officers on the starship are bigger than the Lexington's bridge."

'Thats a relief,' Cooper realized. 'If a brand-new ship like the Sendai could break down on its initial voyage what might happen to Hope?'

"Sir," Simmons asked, "What is the Sendai's destination?"

"The Sendai will deliver you to Ceres. That is where Hope is currently located, topping off her tanks for the long voyage ahead."

"I thought that the launch was supposed to happen at Mars," Anderson said.

"Change of plans, Anderson," Captain Wilson said. "Don't worry, they transferred all of your belongings from your storage on Phobos into your cabins on Hope."

"Yes, sir," Anderson said. She looked less concerned after hearing that bit of news.

"Are there any more questions?" Wilson asked. "No? Well, in that case, you are all dismissed."

---

The next four weeks passed by in a blur. Cooper and Simmons were constantly on the bridge learning about the responsibilities of command. Meanwhile, Kobayoshi, who would be serving as second officer, split his time between the bridge and engineering. Finally, Watanabe and Anderson both trained in engineering to familiarize themselves with the ship's systems and the responsibilities of the heads of that department. Needless to say, all the remaining candidates spent double shifts at their assigned posts.

"Just think, we will be training on the Sendai as well," Simmons pointed out while both he and Cooper were taking a quick break to eat a meal.

"It's a good thing that they trained us both to be officers back on Earth," Cooper pointed out. "Otherwise, we'd both be overwhelmed by all of this last-minute training."

"Well, look at it this way. By the time we make it to Alpha Centauri, we will both have over forty years of experience as the commanders of Hope," Simmons pointed out.

"That's very true," Cooper said. "I wonder how we will all look in our mid-sixties."

"I guess we will eventually find out."

---