Chapter 1: Resorting

(Previously)

I sat there for a few moments trying to decide whether or not I should keep it a secret. On one hand, it would be fun to toy with Dumbledore knowing I'm this close but so far from where he wants me to be, but he will also be desperately trying to get me back and following me. I quickly weigh any pros and cons I can think of at the moment before giving an answer, "Harry Potter, Headmaster. I was, am, Harry Potter. "

++++++++++++++++++++

The silence stretched as every soul in the office was stunned. Dumbledore was the first to be able to comprehend and retort to the new information. "We have been looking everywhere for you, my boy. Where have you been?"

"I have reached a magical inheritance. I felt no need to tell you as I received a supply list and was not informed that I needed to tell you of anything."

"Yes, I now understand, my boy! But you must understand that we could not find you for many weeks. We were going to retrieve you just days after you left the protection of your family," the entire response was filled with lies and disappointment.

"The people you had me live with are not my family, Headmaster. I have lived with them for far too long and have been kicked out of their house. I had no need or will to contact you as nobody bothered to respond to my previous letters anyway. I hope you can understand why I have preceded the way I have.."

"Yes, yes, of course, my boy! But you must return this summer. I'm sure you understand. All we want is for you to be safe. You are very lucky that Voldemort did not find you whilst you were away from your home. There is no telling what he might have done if he had found you."

"I think you misunderstand, Headmaster. I will not be returning to that house," I spat out.

"My boy-"

"And please stop calling me 'my boy.' You don't own me or have enough familiarity with me to say such things."

"M- Harry, you must go back to your relative's house. It is imperative that you do. Voldemort-"

"With all due respect, I don't care about Voldemort or anything you have to say," I can feel heat rise to my cheeks as I start to get annoyed by the on and on repeating of facts, "I am now considered of age because of my inheritance. You have no control or influence over me other than the fact that you are the Headmaster of the school I go to."

"You are still young and rash, Harry. I only have the best in mind for you. I wish I did not have to involve you in such a matter of war, but it is unavoidable for you," He tries to convince me.

"Is that all, Headmaster? Because I am done talking about this," I try to control the anger that is spiking up as to disprove his point of me being rash, "I have now told you everything you need to update my papers for school. You don't need to know any more than that."

"My b-Harry-"

"It is now Hadrian Peverell. I would like for you to stop calling me Harry." "Hadrian, you can't ignore the-"

"Along with that, I feel that I have changed because of my inheritance and no longer fit into my house. I would like to be resorted, effectively immediately," I demand.

"I- uh-"

The old headmaster seem too stunned to speak, but sadly the other two occupants in the room did not.

"You can't mean that mate!", "He can't do that!" came the two screams of my ex-friends.

"Yes, I can. And there is nothing that you or the Headmaster can do to prevent me from doing it," I informed them.

"Headmaster Dumbledore?" the brown-haired girl referred to the elderly man.

"I- it is true. If a student wishes to be resorted, I can not stop it from happening," the voice had lost it grandfatherly touch and his eyes had lost their twinkle as he hands me the hat he had in his pocket from the yearly sorting," I hope you understand what you are doing."

"I do," and with that, I put on the dusty, leather hat.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Oh, what an interesting mind you have. So much more yourself, I see."

"A lot has happened..."

"Yes, it has, but that does not subtract from the fact that we are here once again. Tell me, do you have any opinions on where you will go this time?"

"No, just not Gryffindor."

"Good, good. I knew you would come back to me in a matter of time, though it is later than I expected.," he drifted off for a few moments before getting back on task, "But we are not here to ponder or argue. Gryffindor, has not worked out for you I see. Betrayal, hatred, and it would be far too loud for your new inheritance. Hufflepuff too is to be ruled out. Far too innocent for you to dwell with them. Ravenclaw is an option, much quieter. But you never were one for books, were you? That leaves us at Slytherin. My opinion has not changed, young one. You can find everything you have ever wanted, family and acceptance. You might be a little less ambitious, but hopefully those Snakes we help you out. What do you think, young one?"

"I think I should have listened to you the first time, and for that I'm sorry," I apologize to the hat trying to convey how much I regret choosing Gryffindor.

"That is fine, young wizard. You are here now, and hopefully, you will get that old, manipulative coot out of this school," before I could any farther questions the enchanted hat he called out, "But for now it better be-"

"SLYTHERIN"