Chapter 5

Chloe POV

Dance yesterday was weird. For a few seconds, Abby seemed to pay attention to Maddie; then it went back to normal. Time to ride the bus alone again, Wait... Yay! It's Thursday, Maddie is riding the bus. Maddie's stop is next, and I look out the window to see her house. A few moments later, I see Maddie and Mackenzie running into the bus.

Maddie: Hey Chlo!

Chloe: Hey Madz!

Soon after Maddie gets on the bus, it begins to storm. I think about dance, I'm just not good enough. If only the rain could wash away all my problems. My thoughts are interrupted when-

Maddie: Chloe? Are you okay?

Chloe: Yeah, I'm fine.

That was a lie.

Maddie: Are you sure?

Chloe: Yes. I'm just tired.

I can see in Maddie's face that she doesn't believe me; hopefully she doesn't bring it up later.

Maddie: Uhh Ok.

Let's change the subject.

Chloe: Sooooo

Wow, good job Chloe.

Maddie: Did you study for the math test?

UGH!!!! I knew I forgot something!

Chloe: Whoops. Ummm do you have-

Maddie: The notes? Yes. *rummages around her bag* Here they are!

We study a bit when I start to feel an icy glare boring into the back of my head. I turn around and see- Jess. Of course, she doesn't bother me when Maddie's around. Seriously? I can't even protect myself without Maddie. I'm nothing. Wait, snap out of it Chloe! Great, now I talk to myself. I'm a freak. No wonder Jess hates me.

Maddie POV

Chloe is acting really weird, maybe she's just tired. Dance yesterday was hard, Ms Abby hates me! I'm not going to stop though, I will beat Sophia. One thing that was fun though was the trio, Stay Out of the Dark. Chloe, Sophia, and I are like wandering through a forest, and one by one we fall into the 'dark' and die. It's kind of dark, but I like it.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Nia POV

Holly: Nia! Time for dance!

Nia: Coming! One second!

Dance isn't fun now that Sophia showed up. My Mom made me quit Ms Abby! Don't blame me!! Not even Maddie has her attention now. No one but Sophia. Ugh!! It's so unfair.

Holly: Nia! Now!

I am not looking forward to dance today.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Maddie POV

We are pulling into the studio! I know Ms Abby is mean, but I still get excited before dance!

Kenzie: I don't want to go!!!

Melissa: Mackenzie Ziegler we signed a contract. We have had this conversation before.

Kenzie: I hate dance!

How could anyone hate dance?

Maddie: How do you hate dance!?

Melissa: Maddie, mind your business. Now girls, get ready for class.

*we leave the car and are in the locker room*

I see Chloe sitting on a bench, looking close to tears. Alarmed, I run up to her.

Maddie: Chloe? Are you okay?

Chloe: Yes, I'm fine. *blinks back tears*

Maddie: You are not fine.

Whoa! What's wrong with Chloe? I hate seeing her this upset. In the white light of the locker room I can see her eyes turning red. I pull her into a hug.

Maddie: It will be okay.

Paige POV

I walk into the locker room, and I see Maddie and Chloe embracing. Will the Maddie/Chloe drama ever end? Wait! That was mean! I haven't been myself lately, after Sophia. I guess I can't blame this on her though, I'm just never the "favorite." I thought it would always be Maddie, but now it's someone else; and I'm treated worse.

Well, time for dance.

As I walk into studio A, I see Abby already standing there. Hmm she's not known for being early (except on competition day) I sense something's up.

Abby: Hello Paige.

Paige: Hi Ms Abby.

Abby: Go to studio B to practice the group with Gianna.

Paige: Okay.

Hmmm... I wonder why she was here early.

Abby POV

Last night, I had the perfect idea. If Maddie wants to work harder, why not let her try and compete at Sophia's level. I am sure she won't compare, but she needs to learn some people are just better dancers. So I'm changing the trio to a duet!

I see Maddie and Chloe walk into the studio. Right after them Sophia walks in.

Abby: Girls, I have something to tell you.

Maddie + Chloe + Sophia: Yes?

Chloe POV

Abby: I am changing Stay Out of the Dark into a duet. Chloe, please go into studio B, and practice the group with Gianna.

I try and remain calm, but

Abby: Sorry kid, sometimes you're just not good enough.

This is pretty much all of my worst fears. Sophia and Maddie leaving me in the dust. The words "sometimes you're just not good enough" ring in my head, as I begin to cry.

Christy POV

I see Chloe start to cry. Wait, why are Maddie and Sophia doing the trio? Oh that's it!! I run down the stairs and into studio A.

Christy: WHAT WAS THAT!?

Abby: Chloe is no longer in the trio, it is now a duet.

Christy: Chloe and I are LEAVING!

I storm up to Chloe, grab her wrist, but

Chloe: I'm not leaving! *grabs onto dance bar*

We all stare at Chloe in astonishment.

Christy: Oh-kay...

Then I turn around and go back to the observation room.

Abby POV

Wow! I never expected that from Chloe, but it doesn't change my decision. Chloe then leaves for studio B. We run the number for a while, and it looks pretty good. Maddie is not at Sophia's level, but the duet works. I might even give them some more.

Maddie POV

That was hard. We practiced the dance for about 2 and a half hours. Dance starts at 5pm, so we were done at around 7:30. The other girls had a long homework break, so we ran the group for 2 hours. Then we had classes. We were finished at around 11:30, and I have to wake up at 4:20am. Great.

A/N
Hey guys! That was a SUPER long chapter, I hope you liked it. Over 1000 words!!! Anyway I have big plans for this story. Please like/comment blah blah blah. 😜😉😄

Also thank you for reading this chapter 😊! You rock! 🎸!