Chapter 49

"i didn't say goodbye"

Third Person POV

She didn't make it.

A sentence that Andrew kept replaying in his mind and every time it was like a punch to the heart.

This couldn't be happening.

It's not true.

She was fine.

Those were thoughts that were also running through his mind and he could let it go.

David had gotten a call right before he was going to step out of his room, a call that would notify him about his high school sweetheart's death. They headed straight to the local hospital. The police explained to Andrew and David about the accident. How a semi-driver lost his focus on the road which ended in the truck steering to the opposite lane and harshly colliding with a car, that car belonging to Angela Richardson.

The cop had gone into more details but the teenage boy blocked them out. He didn't want to hear how his mom's last moments went. What he wanted to hear was his mother's voice waking him up from this nightmare. A voice that he heard hours prior to the accident.

The boy sat there, no tears dropping from his eyes just a blank stare ahead with his hands clasped on his lap.

When his father tried to talk to his son, he just stood up and walked away. When David was going to follow him, Leah grabbed his arm and shook her head and that was enough for the man to understand.

Andrew walked around the hospital, going through the halls as people passed him until he stopped at an interaction between a mother and a son.

"You did a good job back there." The lady complimented the small boy who couldn't have been older than nine with a cast around his arm.

"Does that mean I can get candy?" The little boy asked while he looked up to her as he held his mom's hand with his good arm.

The woman smiled softly before responding, "I was thinking more of ice cream but if you want can-" She was interrupted by her son rushing out his no's. "Okay, well come on my superman," She said causing her son to smile brightly.

The two walked off as Andrew felt an ache in his heart. All he wanted to do was wake up from this hell but he couldn't.

It was a new reality.

═════ ═════

The family had been busy planning to lay Angela to rest. As they were doing that, condolences were coming in left and right. People contacted about how their hearts were with them. Andrew's phone blew up with messages from friends or calls but the most frequent name was Brooke. It didn't change the outcome though because he still let any message go unread or let the phone ring until it wasn't.

He didn't acknowledge them. The days going by didn't even feel like his mother was gone. It just felt like any moment she was going to text or call him, asking how he was doing but of course, that didn't happen.

His behavior didn't go unnoticed by anyone, David watched as his son just looked detached from everything. How he hardly spoke since the horrible day, or how he holds his emotions.

The young man was sitting at the table with David and a few other people that were helping with the funeral. Leah was there but she stood a distance from the group, not wanting to feel like she was overstepping.

"So I think we have everything set, right?" David asked everyone as they all nodded beside the teenager. David looked at his son, "Andrew?" He said, resulting in him looking up from the surface of the table. "Anything you would want to add?"

All the eyes in the room were on him, seeing if he would have a word in the conversation. Andrew looked at them before answering, "No." Standing up from his seat and walked out of the house.

Right, when Andrew was about to get on to his motorcycle, a memory of the day his mom took him to pick out the bike flooded his brain. Resulting in him looking at it for one last time before walking away.

There was no certain location that he had in mind. He just wanted to get out of the house and try to clear his head but that seemed easier said than done because the spot he ended up was a playground.

A playground that his mother used to take him to all the time.

***

"Get back here!" Angela yelled as she chased the energetic five-year-old.

She had taken her son to play after his nap, thinking that he would tire himself out but boy was she wrong. They had been there for two hours and Andrew was still running around like a lunatic.

"You have to catch me, mommy!" He responded as he looked back at her as he climbed up the jungle gym.

"Andrew, it's getting late we have to go back home before it gets dark." She told him but he still didn't listen. "Fine, if you don't want to listen I'm going to go without you." She said out loud so he could hear her.

The little boy scrunched up his brows as she stepped back from where he was and step closer to the parking lot. 

"Then when night comes around, you'll be here with the monsters." Trying to scare him. "Like the ones we read about in the stories." Fear crossed the boy's face, which made Angela internally cheer thinking it worked but it didn't last long as her son returned with a goofy smile.

"Mommy you're funny." He said causing her to become confused. "You wouldn't leave me."

A smile came across her face at her son's words. The boy climbed down from his spot until he got close enough to the ground and then leaped down before skipping closer to his mom.

"I thought you wanted me to catch you?" She asked the little boy who looked up at his mom.

"Yeah but I don't want you getting hurt," He answered which made her aw until, "since you are old."

She gasped at his response, "You know what, come here! I'll show you who's old." Jogging to her son before he ran off, giggling as she followed him.

***

All he wanted to do was run back in time just to give his mom one last hug but that's when the realization came to him.

He didn't even get to say goodbye.

A/N
Hello again!
Sorry if this chapter was too short, I was going to write more but I decided it was best to split it up.

Also, I would like to thank everyone who has read this far. You are all amazing and the comments you leave on the chapters are the best motivation to keep this story going so thank you.
See you next time!