27 | The End of the Beginning

Her grandparents had beaten them home.

Talia had expected them to have retired to their bedroom or have begun their nightly news session, but instead, the two waited at the kitchen table, engaged in lively conversation.

"There you are," Teta Salma beamed and gestured to Fouad. He stood up and mumbled something indistinct, while Talia stared between the two of them, trying to decipher their secret communication. "Talia, I need your help."

"With what?"

"Make sure Zaid doesn't look," she said, cheeky smile growing. "Whatever way you can."

Feeling her cheeks warm, Talia mouthed something to Zaid, but he just shrugged his shoulders and lifted his hands in confusion. Teta gestured for her to get going, so she walked behind him and shielded his eyes with her hands, pushing him down into his seat of the kitchen table.

She tried not to laugh as he shifted below her, watching her grandparents open the fridge. A small gasp left her lips when an elegant birthday cake appeared, each swirl of white cream on the sides and fresh berry on top placed with the utmost care. Zaid grabbed her wrists as he sensed something touching the table before him, but she didn't let go until Teta lit each candle.

Her grandparents wished him a happy birthday in Arabic as he took in the sight before him, eyes widening in pleasant surprise. Without thinking, he pulled them both into a tight hug, mumbling his appreciation back in their mother tongue.

"How could we not?" Teta gushed, holding her heart. "It's only your birthday once a year. Now go blow out those candles and wish for something wonderful."

"I will in a moment," Zaid said, nodding.
Smile still stuck to his lips, he turned around and gave Talia a gentle hug. The quick embrace was chaste enough for her hawk-eyed grandparents, but even they broke into a smile at his affection. As he let her go, Talia swore Teta whispered something about marriage.

Then he blew out the candles, one by one, leaving Talia to wonder what he'd wished for.

***

After over half of the cake had disappeared and one too many jokes had been cracked, Fouad pulled out a bottle of Pinot noir seemingly from nowhere. The intended recipient of the wine appeared dispassionate, glowing phone screen capturing his attention.

"Ah, I've been waiting for an excuse to buy one of these." Fouad set down a couple glasses with a clink. "Can I pour you a drink, Zaid?"

He stood up and shook his head, sliding his phone back into his jacket pocket. "I'd love one, but I have to drive back to Boston. I didn't expect to stay this long, anyway."

The festivities had robbed Talia's memory, their end reminding her once again that he was leaving tonight. She still had another hour of packing herself, ready to begin the anxiety-inducing process of making multiple checklists rife with the most insignificant of items, only to leave behind something as obvious as a laptop.

Was leaving her heart behind also an option? Because she didn't think her suitcase had room for all its broken pieces.

"Alright, more for me," Fouad joked, hunting around for a corkscrew.

Teta narrowed her eyes. "And what, exactly, are you celebrating?"

He poured himself a generous glass and took a swig, much to her palpable disapproval. "Can a man live, Salma? It's definitely a holiday somewhere."