1

TWO DAYS AGO

         "CUT! Take 5 everyone. " Shane Pepper's shoulders dropped and he ran his hand down his face in exhaustion. This wasn't right. Nothing was turning out right. This was supposed to be a war movie, historical with a few liberties taken. Yet, something didn't feel right. It didn't feel real. It didn't capture the soul. As the thoughts threatened to drown him, a cheery voice from behind pulled him to safety - temporarily at least.

         "Shane! How's my favorite cousin in L.A.?" The woman who appeared more like a girl at first glance, ran up and hugged her cousin. She looked up at him quizzically when he didn't react. "Well? Is that any way to treat your cousin?" She playfully punched his arm.

         "If you'd give me a chance, I'll give you a hug Lena." Much to his amusement, she visibly recoiled at the childhood nickname. It was one She never liked. However, her name was Helena. People couldn't exactly go around endearingly calling her Hel, now could they? Lena was definitely the better option, in everyone's opinion except hers.

         "What's your movie about? I heard something about a big project you were working on. But, no one back home could give any details." Helena examined the set, costumes, and music choice while she waited for an answer. "Wait! Don't tell me. It's about Scotland. The Picts. Or, is it another rendition of King Arthur's legend?" Her cousin's gaping look she turned around to made her laugh.

         "How - What - Who told you?" He stared at his cousin in curiosity and she stared back like he was stupid. This didn't last long because he was truly terrible at staring contests. Helena laughed with her victory and danced in a circle around him.

         "It wasn't hard to figure out man. It's logic and I kind of have a reputation for being the nerd in the family - especially when it deals with history. But, you didn't answer my question.  Regardless of me saying not to, you still have to answer. I answered yours. Which is it about? Arthur? You're going to need a lot of blue paint....and more bagpipes. Lots and lots of bagpipes." She laughed at his horrified expression at the mention of bagpipes and it echoed through the building.

         As the two cousins reunited, a group of actors walked into the studio. Helena turned and recognized them immediately. They were from one if her favorite drama shows. She didn't say anything when they walked up, but; her excitement was clear. It could be seen through her shyness. Shane greeted them and a new conversation began.

         "Hey guys. This is my cousin Len - a." He breathed deeply from the elbow to the gut and cut his eyes at his cousin who was twirling her hair around her fingers and coincidentally whistling like she was innocent. She turned to the group of actors with a shy smile and extended her hand, "It's nice to meet you. My name's Helena." The man who shook her hand smiled at the tactics between the two cousins and introduced himself, "It's a right pleasure to meet you Lady Helena. I am Connor Thompson. I certainly hope you don't terribly mind my accent." He raised her hand to his lips and softly kissed it.

         "There's nothing wrong with an English accent. It's nice to finally meet a man with some manners and respect. " Helena spoke softly and was still blushing from him calling her 'Lady Helena.' No one had ever done that before.  She kind of enjoyed it.

         Connor laughed at her response and introduced the others who were with him. "This is Angelina Perry, a right gem of Wales. Scott LeBlanc, he thinks he's the pride of Quebec. And last but not least, Jack Morgan-Rhodes, a terrific mate from the Land Down Under."

         As he was shaking Helena's hand, he asked, "Oi. What's this film about?" Jack surveyed the set and couldn't help his curiosity. It was pretty elaborate for what appeared to be a small budget film. There weren't very many people around who looked like crew. "This is a short film right?"

         "Yeah actually. I don't have a budget for a full length movie. But, I can do this. If I can do this, and it succeeds, maybe I can finally begin making my mark on the entertainment industry." Shane looked around and thought about his dream that may or may not come true. "It's a rendition of a Pict battle with Roman soldiers."

         "I was right! Almost right! It still counts." Helena looked at her cousin. "Being a nerd comes in handy. I love history. But....where's your warriors?"

         "Look, Lena. Do you know how hard it is to find someone willing to paint themselves blue and do a war dance while chanting in Gaelic?" Shane saw his cousin's face and was enveloped with sudden regret. She grinned at him. "If you want to do it, which is what your face is telling me, you can. The dressing rooms are over there. You can even direct the others on how you want them to dance. You like history. You're good at this stuff. If you think you can do it, go for it."

         "Oh, you poor boy. Of course I can do it. The question is, "Can they keep up?" She had a devilish grin on her face as she skipped off to the dressing rooms. The ancient sounds of warriors and pipes, and clasing shields and swords echoed in her head.

         Everyone stood stock still and waited for someone else to break the silence. No one knew what she was planning. It was just a feeling that lingered in her wake.

         "Your cousin is something else," Jack broke the silence after it finally reached a point too awkward, even for him. He still looked in the direction she'd danced off into. Intriguing. "She didn't seem like a dancer. She was dressed as a farm hand of some sort."

         "She owns her own ranch. Not exactly sure what she ranches or where it's at. I really don't even know what she does on it. She insists that it's not your run of the mill operation. Everyone thinks their business is different from the rest I suppose."