First Kiss

Elizabeth could barely breathe.

Throughout the rest of the sermon, her eyes kept catching Mr Darcy's.

How could one be so cruel?

His face was controlled, his icy blue eyes regarding her cooly her from a few pews over. Elizabeth was sure she didn't look so calm and collected. Her blood boiled as she sat there brewing in silence, her hands were squeezed into fists as she fought against her own mind to stay in her seat.

Once Mr Collins wished everyone a good day and prayers were said, she stood and fled the church as quickly as she could in fear of being forced to converse with the man.

How could he?

How could Mr. Darcy be so cruel?

She knew he wasn't the romantic type, she didn't dare think of him in such a way after what she had just been told in regards to her sister and Mr Bingley. Also because of the tale Mr Wickham had informed her of. She did secretly wish, deep down, that there was some sort of redeeming quality left to explain why her mind kept wandering to him. But it seems there was not. He is miserable, unkind and his heart must truly be full of hate for everyone around him to wish such unhappiness on the people he holds so dear to him. How could anyone do it, cause such pain and unhappiness to her gentle and kind sister, and even more, his own friend.

How cruel and mean he truly was.

As she ran along the soaked grass, the mud causing her to slip every few steps, she spotted a beautiful stone temple in the distance near a large lake. She headed towards it, trying to cover her eyes so she could see better as the rain continued to pour down on her.

Once under shelter, she leaned over to catch her breath. The rain ran from her hair and into her face, dripping to the floor from her nose. Slowly, she stood up straight and leaned against a column, still desperately trying to catch her breath. She released the scarf around her neck, trying to allow air in her lungs faster. She'd have to stay here until the rain calmed down, thunder roared in the distance sending goosebumps up her arm. She hoped it wasn't too long as she was sure she would freeze if it became dark.

A dark figure moved into her field of vision to her left, causing her to jump.

With a gasp, she turned to face the man.

It was Mr Darcy.

Had he followed her all this way?

"Miss Elizabeth..." He breathed, clearly as out of breath as she was. His eyes were fixated on her, the rain too running from his hair down his face. Elizabeth looked down, unable to look at him as he stared at her so intently. "I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer." She looked up at him when he said that. He has struggled? Him? She was sure he didn't know the meaning of the world. "These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony."

She stared at him dumbfounded. "I don't understand-."

"I love you," He interrupted, unable to keep the words inside any longer. "Most ardently."

Elizabeth was truly at a loss. He loved her. Him? The man who she was sure didn't know what it was to love something. The man who had ruined her sister's life. The man who was staring at her with the widest eyes that was full of so much emotion, it was almost enough to trick her that he meant what he said.

"Please, do me the honor of accepting my hand." He finished as Elizabeth tried to find her words.

"Sir i-" She looked away, trying to think of what to say. Finally with another breath, she collected herself and stared at him cooly. " I appreciate the struggle you have been through, and I am very sorry to have caused you pain. Believe me, it was unconsciously done."