Chapter 6 || Lost

"Because I used it all."

"Sorry? Used?" Delilah questioned, taken aback.

"Yeah, used. You know like shot people with the gun until I couldn't because I ran out." Just when we had made progress, he had to say that. I was having a really hard time trying to trust the guy.

"Wait, you didn't mention that in your "life story"," Akash said, quoting the last bit with bunny ears.

"Yeah, well I left out some bits. But trust me-"

"You say that an awful lot," Lilah pointed out, cutting the guy off.

"Look, what I'm trying to say is that I've told you anything you need to know. The stuff that I haven't said is most likely not important to you guys, and I'm harmless." Mr. Nameless dude said, opening the basement door leading to darkness. The basement was at least lighted, but outside it was barely visible.

"Do you have a torch or something?" I asked, looking around.

"No, but my sense of direction is pretty good and so is my eyesight. Just stick behind me and you'll be out of here in no time."

"I'm having a really hard time believing that, but you are our last shot," De said, following him out, with Akash not far behind. That was when I had almost forgotten about Mateo, who was standing silently, observing.

"Mateo, let's go," I said, signaling him to walk toward, as he did.

In the front, there was Mr. Nameless leading, with Lilah holding on following, then me and Mateo, and last being Akash. We were like a train, and it would be pretty hard to not spot us, even in the dark.

"Are you sure the killer won't know we're here?" Lilah asked.

"I had a tracker on him, so I can see where he is, and right now he's far from us." For once, the guy had done something actually useful, and that had surprised me.

We walked through the house until I recognized we were going through the hallway. The light to that one room where we had heard the lady was still on, and I realized that we hadn't gotten a proper explanation of the situation. "You know, before, in that room, we had heard a lady yelling for her life, but she wasn't there when we got there. Instead, there was Akash. Do, by chance, you know what happened?"

Even though it was dark, I could've sworn I saw Nameless dude pause and have a suspicious look. But that was replaced by his serene face the next second. "Wow, really? That's weird." I had watched enough movies to know that he was lying, and he let on less than he knew.

"T-the l-lady was my mother."

-

I turned around to face Mateo, who was now holding on to Akash. "Oh, did you see what happened? Do you know what happened?" Mateo nodded his head into a yes, and all of us, even the dude, crouched down to Mateo's level to hear what he had to say.

"I-i was playing and then when the lights went out, I got scared, so I went to hold onto my mom. Then somebody g-grabbed my mom and took her, so I started r-running behind, being discreet, but I guess the man was too fast. I-I checked all the rooms, until I found my mom sitting down scared in a dark room. The man who grabbed her wasn't there, so I went in to make sure she was okay, but as soon as she saw me, she told me to hide. I hid under the bed and then there were footsteps after which my mom s-s-screamed and then nothing. Later you guys found me, and then my m-mom wasn't there," by the end Mateo had tears running down his cheek. I immediately felt sympathy for him, and De hugged him.

"Sorry to interrupt your crying session, but we need to get moving. Unless you guys are okay with, well, dying." I had a great urge at the moment to just go off on him, but buried it down when I saw him looking at his phone with concern.