The Library

At the fourth or fifth time she heard her name, Clarice looked up from the uneaten breakfast she had been staring at for some time.

"Huh?"

"Not a morning person, I assume?" Hannibal commented, from across the table.

"Sorry, I was miles away," she mumbled, trying to focus on him. "What were you sayin'?"

"Our friend has done another one," he said.

Clarice frowned, lost.

"It's rather grizzly by all accounts."

"Oh, there was another murder? When?" she asked.

"The early hours of this morning. Poor old Inspector P is getting himself all in a tizzy," Hannibal told her.

"Well I'm glad you can be so nonchalant about it," Clarice rolled her eyes, pouring herself another cup of coffee.

"Easy on the caffeine, my dear. Such copious amounts will addle your brain," he told her, as Everleigh joined them at the breakfast table.

She snorted. "Already addled."

"I tell her that all the time," Everleigh commented.

"Well, perhaps with our now-joint efforts, she may one day listen," he surmised.

"Don't hold your breath," Clarice muttered, passing her daughter the juice.

"Where you are concerned Clarice, it has become a habit," the Doctor told her. "In any case, I will be leaving shortly to join our hosts at the scene of the crime, whilst the evidence is... fresh."

"Nice. Just... be careful, okay?"

He nodded, his eyes glittering with amusement. "Always. And what you will the two of you be doing today? Do you have any plans to explore the city?"

Clarice shrugged. "Maybe."

"In that case, might I recommend the Old Town? It makes for a very pleasant stroll and isn't too far from the castle, if such things interest you," Hannibal said.

Clarice groaned internally – such things certainly did not. But across from her, Everleigh's eyes lit up.

"Really? Can we go?" the child asked.

The child who had never been out of the United States before, had never seen a castle and had, to Clarice's memory, never been on a day out with her mother before.

She relented. "Sure."

∞∞∞

Hannibal Lecter stepped through the numerous police officers milling around the entrance of the library, ducking underneath the crime scene tape. No body challenged him – either they had been forewarned of his imminent arrival, or were too busy to be vigilant.

The large foyer echoed with the hushed whispers of officers, talking in groups.

Seeing him approach, Inspector Petrauskas gestured him over.

He extended a hand. "Doctor Lecter. Thank you for coming."

The Doctor shook it. "You're most welcome. Shall we get straight to business?"

Nodding, the inspector lead him through the hallway of the library, towards the front desk.

"I hope your wife can forgive my disturbing you on your first day in Vilnius," he said as they walked. "No doubt you had plans."

Hannibal waved it off. "No need to apologise, Inspector. She is suitably entertained for the day."

Petrauskas stopped as they reached the double doors. "I must warn you this is... quite a sight."

With that, he opened the doors to reveal the scene awaiting them at the front desk of the Vilnius University Library.

There was a huge mound of books piled directly in front of the desk, almost bonfire-esque in shape and easily fifteen feet in height. At the top sat the severed head of what appeared to be a woman.

Lecter blinked, calmly.

"Interesting," was all he said, and then he made his way around the books.

"That is certainly one word for it," the inspector agreed, putting a cigarette in his mouth. Before lighting it, he glanced over at Hannibal. "Do you mind?"

Hannibal gave him a small smile. "Be my guest."

"This was a real labour of love, no?" Petrauskas commented, gesturing to the book pile.

"It certainly appears that way," the Doctor said, stopping at the desk and noting the rest of the victim's body sat in the chair, as if ready to greet visitors. "Do you have an identity for our unfortunate friend, here? The librarian?"

The inspector shook his head. "We've located the librarian who was on duty last night. It's not her."

"Unusual don't you think?" Hannibal commented, turning his attention back to the books.

"What's that?"

"You mentioned your previous victims have turned up once monthly, on the third calendar day. Yet it has only been two weeks since the last one. Why is that, do you think?" he asked.

The inspector shrugged. "Perhaps he is getting braver?"

"Perhaps," Hannibal agreed, softly.

A female officer appeared through the doors just then, stopping to gesture to the inspector.

"Sir, we think we have a positive identify on the victim," she said.

Petrauskas turned to look at her. "Oh?"

She nodded, handing him a picture. "Simona Andris – nineteen years old. She was reported missing from Taboras two days ago."

"She's from the gypsy community?" Hannibal clarified.

The young officer nodded, allowing Petrauskas to take the picture from her hand. He studied it for a moment before holding it up to compare it to the head sitting atop the books.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"Looks like it. Let's get the forensic team in, and then we can dismantle it," he grunted, before turning to look at Hannibal again. "You see now Doctor, why we need your help."

The Doctor glanced up at the scene again before nodded.

"Yes. I most certainly do."

∞∞∞