Chapter Fourteen: The Sun The Moon And The Panic

5 minute later, Sodapop an I are climbing the bleachers, beside the track.

"So kie." Soda says, sitting down.

"So soda." I sit down next to him.

"It's pretty aint it?" He smiles looking over the track. The sky is overcast and it's windy. The trees are still green.

"It really is." I smile.

"You look really pretty today, by the way." He looks at me smiles.

"Really? Everybody keeps telling me I look like shit". I laugh.

"Well then they aren't actually looking at you." He says softly. I feel myself blush and look away.

"Thanks." I say staring out over the track.

"This reminds me of a poem I read once."

"Oh yeah? Let's here it."he says. I take a deep breath.

"When grey clouds
Are always spilling over
With the ebb and flow
Of their seas 
Those with soft hearts
Will soak it all in
Only to pour it back out
A greedy catharsis
Under overcast skies" I recite.

"That's beautiful. Where'd you learn that?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe from my book of sonnets?" I laugh. He smile and nods.

"Yknow something?"

"Hm?" I respond

"You puzzle me."

"Oh yeah? How."

"Even when things are bad, you stay positive. Sure you have your moments where your mad or annoyed. But you always have something good to say or a poem or whatever. You always see the good in people."

"Yeah, I guess so. I guess I just want people to see the good in me, so I see the good in them." I look down at my hands.

"I see the good in you." Soda says, taking my hands in his.

"Yeah? Like what?" I smile looking into his eyes.

"Well," he says scooting closer so our legs are touching.

"You are kind. You never judge anyone without reason. You talk to the trees." He laughs.

"You are quiet yet you think a lot. You always scrunch your nose when your thinking hard about something. You always ask people how they're doing. You talk to people on the street. You aren't afraid of other greasers. You don't show fear towards the socs. You read. You are just a real amazing person." He smiles.

"Thanks." I giggle. "I see the good in you too."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. Your very kind. Your super smart. You have a contagious smile. You are kind to everyone with no reason. You give your heart to everyone, even if they don't deserve it." I said. He looked at me and leaned in close. I felt the hair on my neck stand up and my stomachs did a roll.

"Kiara I have to tell you something."

"What?" I say. He looks at me and smiles softly. Looking down at me then back at the trees.

"Uh, what's your favorite color." He asked. I was confused, it was as though he decide to change his question last second.

"Uh, sage green." I laughed

"Ah." He nodded.

For a moment, we sat there looking out at the trees. It was calm and peaceful, yet there was a strange tension between us that we never had before.

"Kiara?" He asked softly.

"Hm?"

"Who's Colby?" He asked. My heart stopped and I breathed in sharply.