almost

amara haven

I texted David as soon as we were off of the plane, asking for a ride.

Nic and I were leaning against the airport by the front doors, he had his arms crossed and he wouldn't talk to me.

I rolled my eyes, "You're being childish."

"Well, I'm only-"

"Twenty, you're an adult, but good try," I went to ruffle his hair but he pulled away.

"If you don't cheer up right now, I'll hug you," I threatened.

I swear I saw him smile for a second, "And what would that do?"

"I don't know, force you to not be mad at me because I asked your Dad for a ride," I replied, trying to accentuate my words and make him feel as bizarre as he sounded.

"I'm not mad at you, Amara, I just don't want to see him right now," he looked down at me.

"All he wants is to help you get better, Nic. Which is also what I want, and you're happy to see me, right?" I assured.

"Well, yes, I'm happy to see you, but that's because you're my best friend and I love you," he said.

I could've died on the spot.

I knew he meant it platonically, but still, some part of me hoped he meant it as a bit more than that.

"You love David too, Nic, I know you do, somewhere in this empty heart of yours," I placed my hand over his heart.

He chuckled, holding my hand there, "How are you always right?"

"I'm pretty wise," I giggled.

He smiled, moving closer.

I felt myself leaning into his presence.

Our faces were millimetres apart, my heart beating out of my chest.

"Hey, kiddos."

We sprung apart, "David!" I smiled, running over to him.

He caught me in his arms and laughed, "Are you two alright?"

I nodded, "We're okay."

I let go of David and Nic walked up next to me, "Hi."

"Hey, son," David said.

Nic looked at me for a split second and I nodded.

He moved into his Dad's arms and they hugged like it was the last time.

I wanted to appreciate the moment, but I was troubled by my thoughts.

Were we... about to kiss?

No. Absolutely not, I was dreaming.

When my parents told me to 'Dream big, Amara' they definitely didn't mean 'Dream about kissing the crush you've had for almost six years, Amara.'

"Well, I'm glad you two are okay and alive. Your Mum called Amara," David said, removing me from my thoughts.

"I don't care," I muttered.

"She was worried out of her mind, she wants to talk to you," he urged, "I don't know what happened, but I know something did, and you can stay with us for a few days if you need to, but call her, okay?"

"She was cheating on my Dad," I said.

He hesitated, "I'm sorry, Amara."

"It's okay," I sighed, "Let's stop at mine and I'll grab a few things to stay with you."