Chapter 27: Can I Have This Dance?

The day was finally here. Saturday I worked like a normal day, and I got to leave a couple of hours early. Before I left Abby and Maia went in to show their dresses to everyone.

"You guys look great." I said.

"Thanks. We're on our way to take some pictures." Maia said.

"How about you? You ready for tonight?" Abby asked.

"Yeah. Turns out I will be going after all." I said.

"Good. I'll see you then." Abby said.

"Yeah."

I was hoping Henry would text me, and offer me a ride, but he didn't. That confirmed he was going with Kevin after all. I was finally going to meet the guy I had been jealous of for far too long. But I wasn't going to be mean or act up, I was going to be friendly to him, and pretend I didn't want him dead.

When my shift ended I went home, showered, and got ready, but there was a minor problem. Either the tailor did not measure my waist properly, or I had lost some weight because the pants were loose. They weren't about to fall by any means, but they didn't feel fit. I was nervous they would fall at some point while at prom, and I was going to be laughed at by the whole school. But it didn't stop me, I got everything set, and tried to look my best. I was just hoping to run into Henry at some point, and maybe get a compliment from him. I made a deal that my stepdad would drop me off, and my dad would pick me up from the dance. It wasn't the way I had planned, but I had no other option. Yes it was lame I wasn't going with a date, and most especially that my parents were dropping me off, but I guess that was just one of the perks of having no friends.

When I got there I was scared, and nervous. Where was I supposed to go? I didn't know if anyone would actually want to hang out with me, and then I saw that the hall was set up like school cafeterias. You had to find a table to put your stuff down while you danced, or sit down if you were tired. I had to find people to sit down with, and that made me nervous. I went to the bathroom to breathe, and think things over. So far no one knew I was here so I could still get a taxi, and go home, but that would be a stupid waste of money. I got my phone out, and texted Mindy, the person who practically forced me to go to prom.

Where are you guys?

We're on the left side of the dance floor. R u here?

Yeah. I said, and I walked out of the bathroom, and made my way to the table. I was really embarrassed to have to walk across all the tables with people sitting there. I thought that maybe they were judging my outfit, or questioning why I was there, and I was doing the same thing. Not once in a million years did I think I would show my face in a school dance, but it was Senior year, so I had to do it.

"Oh, my god you're here. You look great." Mindy said since she was the first one to see me.

"Thanks. Everything was last minute."

"Even so dude. You look good." Jordan said, walking towards the table.

"Thanks." I said.

"I think you should dress fancier more often." He added.

"Do you have a date?" Mindy asked. I looked around at the table.

"No. I thought maybe I could hang out with you guys."

"You're a dumbass, yes you are sitting here with us." Mindy said. "I was just curious if you went to dances even if you were single. I know Kyle, and Adam don't, and you're like their third member. I didn't know if you were like them."

"Well this is my first dance ever, so I don't have standards yet."

"It's just more enjoyable if you have someone to dance with." Adam said.