────── 06.

C H A P T E R  VI

C H A P T E R  VI .
ʷᵒᵘⁿᵈˢ ᵘⁿʳᵃᵛᵉˡᵉᵈ

IT WAS EASIER TO FORGET WHEN YOU HAD THE DEVIL'S BLOOD IN YOUR VEINS.

Forget, forget, forget. You wanted to forget the pleads of your friend, desperate to have you in his league of little soldiers. You wanted to forget the meetings and headaches that kept popping up like unbeatable monsters, grotesque with throbbing pain and contempt. You wanted to forget the protests that always fell on deaf ears, empty yet imploring for a chance to repent.

There were too many things that you wanted to forget. But even with intoxicants running thickly in your blood and hanging precariously from your hand, your mind couldn't help but fixate on everything you desperately hoped to erase.

"And, and, can you just believe the nerve of this carrot top bastard? I told...I told him to not bring it up again, and..." You mumbled drunkenly to your friend, your head barely able to hold itself up without the unintentional support of your arm.

Inessa pursed her lips, nudging you lightly with her elbow. "_____, I thought you wanted to go here to forget about it, not ramble on and on about your troubles."

"Yeah, well...it just, just infuriates me to think that he of all people would try to control me like that! Ajax is such...such a goddamn prick," You muttered, taking another swig of the shot of Fire-Water wrapped in your fingers.

Your friend could only pat your shoulder consolingly with a sympathetic shake of her head. Her tolerance to alcohol was always a lot higher than yours. From her sober expression, you doubted that the liquor had even gotten to her yet.

You flagged down the bartender, your empty glass raised high in the air. "One more of the hard stuff!"

The crystal-clear liquid that shone in the refilled shot reminded you too much of Zapolyarny Palace. It was no means close to your little fishing village, yet its domineering spires could still be easily spotted amongst the heavy, gray clouds that coalesced around the structures like moths attracted to a flame.

You scoffed and downed the entire thing in one go, messily wiping the remainder that glistened on your lips with your sleeve. The Fire-Water burned in your throat, akin to a smoldering pyre, yet the feeling was more than welcomed in your muddled state.

"Fuck," You hissed, your head sliding down until it met with the dented wood of the bar table, "Fuck, fuck, fuck. I'm gonna...I'm gonna have the biggest hangover after this."

Almost spontaneously, you started to sob, fat tears dripping down your face in wide, devastated rivers. Inessa sighed, wrestling the empty glass of liquor from your tight grip and slinging one of your limp arms over her shoulders.