────── 11.

C H A P T E R  XI

C H A P T E R  XI .
ʳᵉᵐⁱⁿⁱˢᶜᵉⁿᶜᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵈᵒᵛᵉ

"LOOK WHO THE CAT DRAGGED IN."

His voice, tinged achingly with a practiced playfulness, scratched against your ears like nails to a chalkboard as you felt your rear painfully hit the cold floor. You suppressed a wince, choosing to instead quietly glare at the scattered collection of Fatui lined up before you. The gazes upon you were filled with mixed reactions, but the emotion most prevalent of them all was painful, unrelenting curiosity.

You felt the smooth caress of silk touch the top of your hair, concealing a grip much darker beneath its satiny folds. Him patting your head in such a manner told more than you needed to know about how he viewed you -- a pet, a plaything, nothing more than something disposable that he could easily get rid of in an instant.

You found yourself burning holes through your lap, unbridled anger swirling through you like the wisps of a Warming Seelie. Archons, why were you so weak? Sure, you could have a sharp tongue in the heat of debate, yet you had no fighting prowess to push back against your captors. Your physical strength was nothing out of the ordinary, and you knew little to nothing about wielding a weapon. You were useless in this battlefield of soldiers and frost. There was nothing you could do.

Defeat soon clouded your features as you shifted uncomfortably on your spot on the ground, rubbing your bound wrists together in the midst of your movement. The rough rope had long left marks on your skin, flesh left raw and irritated by the harsh fibers.

Some brave recruit soon spoke over the soft murmuring among the Fatui. "Lord Dottore, with all due respect...who exactly is that?"

Dottore smiled, slipping a slender finger underneath the rope that chained you and tugging you back upright. Your knees groaned under the weight that was suddenly applied to them as you jerked back into a standing position, red-hot agony shooting out from your wrists with a vengeance.

"This little thing here is _____. They're our newest initiate. With luck, they will join your platoon, Captain Konstantin."

He looked a little taken aback, his eyes widening almost imperceptibly in shock. "Them? They...do not seem to fit the standards of a soldier. Should they even be here?"

You found yourself slightly offended by his words. Ouch.

Dottore's grip on your bindings seemed to grow tighter as he chuckled, the mask placed over the upper half of his face unable to conceal the condescending gaze that drilled into the member's stiff posture. "I do not make mistakes, Konstantin. Choose your words carefully next time...if there even is one. It would be a shame if you simply just disappeared, no?"