Fitting In

"Hey Judd," Dean greeted, standing up from his spot at the fireplace. "We were just hanging out."

Judd looked at each of us in turn, focusing on me the longest. "I see. And I suppose you're April?"

"I know that's not a question," I respond. "Because I also know that I'm supposed to be here and that this wasn't a mistake and that this is some FBI training group and-" Sloane clapped a hand over my mouth.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here April. I know you came into this house with a less-than-proper welcome, but I'm sure you've gotten to know these kids all semi-well?"

"Sure," I nodded. "Well, I'd already met Michael and Lia before I got here, but yeah." I shrugged.

"Oh, really?" Judd raised an eyebrow in Michael's direction. "And how did she meet you guys before?"

"You told us to pick her up from the airport Judd, remember?" Michael looked at Judd and then at Lia. "Lia and I decided to go. You know, the diligent protégées we are and all." He smiled at Judd. Lia was smirking as well, and I realized that Judd didn't know about their little field trips.

I smiled at Michael, and I could see the realization of what I was about to do take over his face. "Actually, Michael and I-"

"We met when we were younger," Michael finished. He looked at me and then back at Judd. I looked at Lia, who was as surprised as I was at the truth of his words. "My dad and her dad were business partners. We met at a dinner when I was ten."

If I didn't have a sense of pride, my jaw would have been on the floor. How did he remember this? I didn't, and I had pretty good memory at that point. I met his dad? He'd met mine? I shivered at the realization.

"Huh," was Judd's reply. "Lia?"

"It's true," Lia informed the room. "April, what do you remember?"

"Nothing," I whispered. And that's when I realized how true that was. I couldn't remember anything important from the first nine years of my life. Not when I really thought about it. "I remember nothing." I stood up and looked at Judd. "Do you mind if I go to my room? It's been a long day and I had a long flight this morning. We can continue this conversation tomorrow." I stood up.

Judd nodded. "It's nice to finally meet you April. We've had our eyes on you for a long time, and I'm glad you're finally here."

I only nodded. I didn't feel like thinking about anything else. "I'll see you guys tomorrow. Can one of you show me to my room please?" I felt embarrassed that I had to ask. Michael held out his hand to me. "Not you," I whispered. He pulled his hand away, looking like a wounded puppy. I turned to Sloane and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh! You want me to?" She asked excitedly. "Come on, you're sharing a room with Lia," she talked quickly, pulling me out of the living room. "But I suppose you already know that, don't you? That's ok, I figured I should remind you. I think she cleaned her room but she is not a neat person." Well, I'd already figured that much out. "Ok, this is your door. Bathroom is two doors down, across the hall," she pointed in that direction. I opened the door. Clothes were strewn across half the room. I guess she marked her territory.

"It'll work out in the end," Sloane said. "You know, you do get a choice on whether or not you stay here. It may not seem like it, but they aren't going to make you stay here without your consent. Oh, and by the way, earlier, shutting you up, I've found that people can talk too much, and sometimes that's the most effective way to shut them up. I mean, Michael can give you another, whatever that means. So, sorry about that, I-"

I clapped my hand over her mouth this time. "This is one of those times, ok?"

I took my hand off her mouth, revealing her smile. "Okay. Does this mean we're friends?"

I thought for a second. What's the harm? "Friends." I smiled, and she grinned in response. "Alright, I'm gonna get some sleep."

"Oh! Right!" Sloane started making her way back to the stairs, and I turned toward the room. "And by the way," she called, "I really hope you decide to stay."

I didn't turn around, not wanting Sloane to see the smile on my face. Despite the weirdest day I've had, I haven't smiled this much in a long time. I was turning soft. And in a place like this, I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

***

Lia never showed up that night. I'd waited for a few hours, and it took me a couple more to fall asleep.  The last time I saw was 4:15.

And still no Lia.

The door handle turning was what woke me up the next morning.  I waited for Lia to walk in, but, to my surprise, it was Cassie who emerged.

"Hey April. Sorry to wake you, but we wanted to know if you wanted breakfast. I pulled the short straw, which is why I had to come get you." She shrugged. "No one wanted to get on your bad side the first day."

"Ok, let me get dressed and I'll be down in a minute," I said, pulling my suitcase toward me. Cassie shut the door and left.

Exactly a minute later and I was downstairs.

"Look who finally woke up!" Michael exclaimed, pointing his fork at me.  His plate was nearly empty, only remnants of syrup and eggs left. 

I took the only empty seat, between Sloane and Cassie. "Did you get a good night's rest?" I asked him sweetly.  Lia grinned like the Cheshire Cat.

Michael smirked and cast a knowing look at Lia. "You know, I didn't do that much sleeping..."

I rolled my eyes and grabbed a plate, helping myself to a large plateful of eggs.  "You know, you can be really stupid sometimes," I responded.  "Just because you have daddy issues doesn't mean you can't have healthy, open relationships."  I nodded towards Lia, but Michael's gaze was fixed on me.  Cassie, Sloane, and Hayden were staring at me.  

Dean was nowhere to be seen.

"Maybe you're the one with the thick skull," Michael surmised.  "You don't have to play the tough foster-child around us.  It's obvious it's an act."

Ouch.  That one hurt.

I sat there and angrily shoveled eggs into my mouth.   Michael watched in amusement, and Lia slipped out of the kitchen unnoticed by him.  To clean her side of the room?  Probably not.  I knew she was hurt by his interest in me, even though there was no reason to worry.

"Look, Michael, me and you?  Not gonna happen.  So go on, make out with Lia.  It makes no difference to me, but it obviously does to her.  Stop wanting what you can't have and look at what's in front of your face." I stood up and put my plate in the sink.

Cassie was shocked, to say the least.  Hayden was sitting there with the start of a smile on his face, and poor Sloane looked extremely confused.

But the look on Michael's face told me I had taken it too far.  Yes, telling him he couldn't have me?  Well, I should have thought that through.  He looked like he was preparing for a challenge.  And Michael Townsend didn't give up easily.  I didn't have to be a profiler to know that much. 

Cassie must have seen it too, because she finally interceded.  "Michael, don't act like a child," she warned him.  "April isn't a toy, and neither is Lia.  In fact, neither am I.  So choose who you really like, and get on with it."

"I already know who I like."  He was staring straight at me.  True.

And of course that was the time that Judd decided to come in.  He pointed at me.  "April, living room, now."