xxvi. all right now

Friday, March 19th, 1976

Lafayette, Indiana

Ecelynn

Ecelynn was a sucker for contrast and colors too bright for Lafayette. Her mother used to tell her to dress calmer and stop trying to look like the high fashion magazines, but Ecelynn hadn't listened since the moment she'd first seen Donyale Luna dressed in large fur coats and bold patterns. Now she wore an up-thrifted fur coat and a long denim skirt that was patched on the bottom to be longer. Her sandals were thick and heeled, and her blouse was ruffled and pastel yellow. Daisy earrings poked out from her afro and her rings were brassy and various colors.

She dipped her brush in a pan of yellow eyeshadow and brushed it heavily over her eyes and up to her brow bone. Her lips were glossy but lacked lipstick, showing off the two different tones. Once she brushed on mascara, she moved onto blush. She scraped her brush through the pink cream and rubbed it aggressively over her face so it would at least show up slightly. It was one of very few blushes that wasn't too pale for her skin, but it still wasn't as pigmented as she'd like.

"C'mon, miss birthday girl," Janie said from the doorway, peeking her head inside. "We gotta get going soon."

Ecelynn looked over at her. "I'm almost ready."

"Want me to handle your hair while you finish your makeup?" she asked, stepping into the room fully.

"Yes, please."

Janie nodded and grabbed a pick from off the vanity before standing behind Ecelynn, staring down at her hair. Ecelynn sat up straighter but continued with her makeup, now brushing highlight over her cheekbones and browbones. Janie ran the pick through a few sections of hair, breaking up clumped curls and filling out spots until the afro was round. She reached over and pulled pieces off of her face and tucked them back, smiling.

"I don't like the fact that you're fourteen now," Janie commented, still fluffing her hair.

"Why?" Ecelynn asked as she finally sat all the way back and pushed her makeup brushes aside.

"You're supposed to be my little sister and now you're a teenager."

"Soon enough you won't have to drive me places, though," Ecelynn said, smiling at her through the mirror.

"A blessing and a curse."

Ecelynn swatted her hands away with a smile and stood, only now standing at around the same height as Janie. Her afro made her appear taller, though, compared to Janie's thick twists. She walked over to her dresser and grabbed one last bracelet before turning and ushering Janie out of the room. They walked downstairs together, Ecelynn's shoes clicking against the wooden stairs.

"You look purdy," her father said as they came downstairs, smiling over his newspaper.

"Thank you, dad."

Her mother agreed and rushed over, grabbing her cheeks and squeezing them. Ecelynn raised her eyebrows and asked, "It's not too much?"

"Today is the day where I'll say your excess is necessary," her mom replied genuinely.

She chuckled and moved towards the coffee machine. "I'll take it. You remember the plan for after school, right?"

"Yup. I'm gonna have some food ready so don't worry 'bout that. We droppin' anyone off at home after?"

"Um, not sure yet. Gonna have to ask."

"And no boys in your room!" her dad yelled from the table, his face still hidden.