Chapter Two: The Deal

After you heard Tommy got stuck in prison you began visiting the Church more and more, the grief heavy inside of you. You prayed more, coming almost every single day. Before the terrible news, good luck seemed to dawn upon you-- only for it to now completely disappear. The offerings you offered to XD were becoming more valuable and meaningful, from flowers to bread, from bread to gapples, and gapples to prized possessions. You sit on the ground, the hard flooring digging into your knees. All you could do is pray. Pray for someone you had lost.

     "How odd, a mortal praying for someone other than themselves."

     The sudden voice startles you from your prayer, whipping around to see no one in the Church. Then there it is, the warmth. It seemed like forever since you've relived it.

     "Hello? Who's there?"

     "..."

     "..Must be my imagination."

     "I'm more than just imagination, darling. Look in front of you."

     You were met with a figure towering over you, their blinding white wings and golden halo were what you noticed first. A green robe laced in golden draped over them, a tight black shirt and cultural pants hiding underneath the robe.

     "Finally on your knees for me, sweetheart?"

     You push yourself up in a hurry, tumbling back down with a hint of embarrassment on your face. It clicks its tongue laughing, echoing through the building. Their hand stretched out towards you, immediately cringing away from it to stand up yourself-- taking a couple of steps away to keep a good distance from the person. A white circular mask covered their face, letters in black paint standing out to you.

     "You're--"

     "XD, at your service."

     "What-- no, why are you here? You aren't real."

     "Please, I'm standing right in front of you speaking with you, what do you not understand?"

     "Tommy's stuck in prison with Dream."

     "And that is my fault how?"

     You sputtered in anger, more anger than shock. Weren't gods supposed to be respectful and understanding, XD seemed like non of those characteristics.

     "My prayers, the prayers that I wished for him to be safe and healthy. You didn't answer them and you call yourself a god, you're a bitch."

     If it wasn't for the mask you could have seen the shock on their face. If it was anybody else saying this to its face, they would be struck and killed. The sudden aggressiveness towards the god intrigued them. They tower over you again in a second, the mask taunting a reaction out of you.

     "Is that so?"

     "Go fuck yourself."

     You admit that was a bit uncalled for but who could blame you for the anger you had built up, you had the right. You could just storm out of the Church, abandoning them to get away.

     "But ya' won't leave, you see I've got a deal I want to make with you."

     "How'd you--"

     "No more questions."

     Rolling your eyes you let out an annoyed sigh, raising your brow to tell them to continue. Clapping their hand together they begin again.

     "Tasks. I want you to do whatever I tell you to."

     ...

     If you weren't griefing you would have laughed in the god's face, wanting to make a fool of them. But you didn't. And due to the seriousness of its voice, you knew that it wasn't joking as well.

     "Tasks," You continued "You, a proclaimed god, want me to do your Errands."

     "Indeed I do, for a week. In exchange, I'll grant your prayers."

     Isn't that already a God's job?

     You stopped to consider this the deal, whatever they for a prayer. To anyone else, it sounded silly. You didn't have much of a choice. If you refused you and Tommy gained nothing, If you accept then--

     "So is it a deal?"

     Rude.

     "...Deal, let's shake on it."

     "Are you sure you wanna do that? Once it's done there's no way out, death being the only way. You have to do everything I say."

     At that, your hand stops mid-air, unsure to pull away or reach out more. They notice the way your fingers twitch back into your palm, you stood motionless. It breaks the silence. Grabbing your hand and opening it, bright light of white shined before the familiar red poppy appeared in your palm.

     "You don't have to decide now, choices are meant to be thought over," They grabbed the flower tucking it behind your ear before continuing "You have exactly a week to make up your mind and until then, make sure to bring some strawberries will ya' sweetheart?"

     With that it vanishes from in front of you, leaving you dumbstruck. Their touch tingles the skin of your hand, disappearing after a minute. Alright. This is fine. This is not fine at all. Why was that kind of--. Shit. Keep it together. Just go home and think it over. Go do their stupid chores and Tommy will be safe. Tommy will be safe. Tommy.

     "Fuck, I'm overthinking again I need to go home right now."

     This was only the beginning of what was to come.