one

words: 4.3k

You were born from your mother thousands of years ago without so much as a whimper, and when you arrived after a particularly peaceful and short labor,, flowers bloomed for miles. You grew quickly, and you had gained the power of life within everything that grew. Your domain was everything that the light touched and below in the soil, and soon, you were the young goddess of nature and growth. If anyone wanted to find you, they could surely look at the trail of bright flowers that you left with every step of your feet.

The name you were born with was Persephone. But just as the humans wanted to make names for themselves, you wanted one of your own, too. One that was not overshadowed by your mother being Demeter, one of the twelve Olympian Gods, and the ever kind yet harsh Goddess of the Harvest. And so, you changed your name, like many of the others much older than you had done, and all but your mother and the nymphs that she charged to take care of you called you Y/N.

"Lady Persephone," a soft voice called from behind you as you dipped your toes into your favorite pond, and you sighed when you looked over your shoulder even after recognizing the familiar voice. "Your mother wants you home soon."

You knew that your mother did. She always wanted you home, away from the outside world- where you truly belonged. She didn't want you anywhere that she couldn't walk twenty steps to get to you, despite you being two thousand years old. Your mother's idea of a good day was when you stayed inside, and it wasn't fair. When you could convince her to let go of your leash just a little, she sent nymphs to watch you, girls you weren't even close to. They were so focused on not angering your mother that they hardly cared about what you thought. But deep down, you understood. Your mother's hand was just as gentle as it was harsh, and like the harvest she watched over, she only gave you what you gave her to work with. If you produced her mind with the equivalent of dry soil and broken land, she would be unruly, fickle, quick to fall apart in frustration. If you watered her and gave her the amount of sunlight she needed, she would bless you. She had been that way since the dawn of her time.

"I don't feel like returning, I've only just gotten here." You weren't looking at them, but you could practically feel the way that they were eyeing each other, getting more nervous with every passing second. You felt the bottom of the shallow part of the lake that you were in with your foot, and you smiled at the sound of silence, knowing that it would only last for a few minutes.

"Your mother will be quite angry if something happens to you, my lady." 

"Nothing is going to happen for that reason," you sighed, and when you got a few moments of silence, you knew that they knew you were right.

You walked through life practically fearlessly. From birth, you were deeply connected to every animal . You had no reason to fear even the most vicious bear or boar, and you could not die from poisonous plants of any kind. No minor or major god who knew your mother would even dare come close to you with any ill intent, and humans never came where you liked to be. You were probably the safest god of them all, besides Zeus himself.

"Please don't make me return to that house so early," you pleaded softly, making sure to not sound too whiny. "I need fresh air. I need to feel grass under my feet. How am I supposed to be the goddess of vegetation if I cannot even see the vegetation?"

If you had been paying more attention, you would have felt the way that the grass started to sway and the whispers of plants all around you. And you surely would have felt the way that part of the ground opened up to reveal your mother, who had heard your entire small speech. "My, what a talker you are."

You turned around to face her, and she was already giving you a look before she started to talk to you yet again. "I have already told you to not guilt these kind nymphs into doing you any favors. You're lucky that they still want anything to do with you, you trouble maker."