six

words: 7.1k

All you could do to stay sane was plant. Each tear that fell from your face planted the beginnings of a single flower while your hands worked as quickly as possible to make the gardens look even better, your decision already made. You had decided that you were going to try to finish the last garden before your mother brought her wrath to the Underworld and threatened the world that you had grown to love. There was no way you would finish in time. Your bones were aching and your hands were shaking, and your mind was already way ahead and mourning the loss of one goddess or the other.

But Karina was by your side. She hardly ever moved from you, and her lips hardly ever stopped from forming soft encouragement while you started to cry knelt in the soil. The hands that used to hover over and be scared to touch you were on your skin boldly, supportively, and laced with feelings neither of you could ever even dream of being able to put into words.

Her hovering in the beginning was exhausting. You were silently trying to make your choice, to choose between someone who had swept your heart right into her arms without your consent or your mother, the goddess who would love you unconditionally and you loved her the same. Every second away from both made your mind stronger and your decision harder. But she knew you better than you thought she did, maybe even better than you knew yourself. Deep down, you didn't want to be alone, and she knew it. Or maybe she had a feeling that you knew what your choice was, and she thought it wasn't her. Maybe she wanted a few more minutes with you, just a few more touches and stolen kisses and glances. Just a few more minutes to bask in your presence, to drink it up and have her darkness follow you in the way that Clytie's yellow petals would always face Apollo. And you would always follow her with the same bright eyes.

But you, just as well as everyone else, could feel that it was all falling apart. Your mother was looking for ways to summon Karina above ground and find a place to meet her. You could feel her infuriated energy around even though you were miles and miles below the lovely ground you both called home. You were spending your time and energy in dangerous ways for a goddess your age, draining yourself emotionally and physically until you could hardly even see grass without wanting to faint. And it was painfully undeniable that with every passing hour, it looked like Karina was adding another brick onto her back. Her posture stayed straight, her mouth stayed in a line, and her steps were still light, but no one could deny that her heart looked like it was heavy. While you planted and cried, she muttered and paced and dwelled.

You still didn't know what to do, despite the decision day making its way through all other days. You doubted that you would even know before you said it. But a part of you could feel a subconscious decision yanking its way out, and you knew for a fact that either one was going to crush at least two people. The one you decided to leave, and you.

You stood outside of Karina's door with your head hung low

You stood outside of Karina's door with your head hung low. You didn't have to knock for her to know that you were there- she could feel your light just like you could feel her darkness. You waited for a few moments, knowing she was piecing herself together just like you were, and gave her the time she wanted.