32 - horrible goodbyes

BORROWING THE HELICOPTER was easy. Getting Reyna on board was not.

Briar needed only a few words through Leo's improvised bullhorn to convince the pilot to land on the mountain. The Park Service copter was big enough for medical evacuations or search and rescue, and when Briar told the very nice ranger pilot lady that it would be a great idea to fly them to the nearest airport, she readily agreed.

"No," Reyna muttered, as they picked her up off the ground. "Briar, don't leave—"

"I'm not," Briar promised. "I swear."

She needed both Leo's and Jason's help to hold her, while Coach Hedge gathered their supplies. Fortunately Hedge had put his pants and shoes back on, so Briar didn't have to explain the goat legs to the mortals.

It broke Briar's heart to see Reyna like this — pushed to the breaking point, tears forming in her eyes. She didn't know what the giant had done to her exactly, how the monsters had shattered her spirit, but she didn't think she could stand to find out.

"It'll be okay, Rey," she said, making her voice as soothing as possible. She didn't want to charmspeak her own girlfriend, but it seemed the only way. She had a feeling that she'd done it before, and that made her feel worse. "We're going to help you. You know Jason, he's here right now. You're safe now."

Reyna blinked, and looked up at helicopter rotors. "He showed me visions. He showed me what happened back home . . ."

"I know," Briar kissed her forehead. She didn't know. She didn't remember what happened to Reyna, and it hurt almost as much as seeing her like this. "It's alright. I'm here now."

When they got her to the bay doors, the pilot came over to help. "What's wrong with her?" she asked.

"Smoke inhalation," Jason suggested. "Or heat exhaustion."

"We should get her to a hospital," the pilot said.

"It's okay," Briar said. "The airport is good."

"Yeah, the airport is good," the pilot agreed immediately. Then she frowned, as if uncertain why she'd changed her mind. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Briar said. "Forget all of your doubts. Take us."

The pilot blinked, confused. "I forgot what I was saying. Let's get going."

Leo and Jason raised their eyebrows at Briar, obviously impressed, but she didn't feel the same. She liked the rush of controlling people with her voice far too much for her own good, but how would it help Reyna? She couldn't convince her she would be okay, or that nothing had happened. Her trauma was just too deep.

Finally they got her on board, and the helicopter took off. The pilot kept getting questions over her radio, asking her where she was going, but she ignored them. They veered away from the burning mountain and headed toward the Berkeley Hills.

"Briar." Reyna grasped Briar's hand and held on like she was afraid she'd fall. "It's you? They told me — they told me you would die. They said . . . horrible things would happen."

"It's me, Rey." It took all Briar's willpower not to cry. She had to be strong for her girl. "Everything's going to be okay."

"They showed me things," Reyna said. "Father locking me in my room. Killing him. The ghosts following me." She focused on Briar again, her eyes like broken glass, reflecting a crazy kind of light. "They kept giving me visions of you dead. And I couldn't save you . . ."

"But I'm okay now," Briar insisted. "Thanks to you. You saved me, Reyna."

"I—" Reyna took a shaky breath, then seemed to forget how to exhale.