The Decision

My back hits the scratchy white sheets underneath me when I fall on top of the hotel bed. A long sigh leaves my throat as I shove my face into the mattress. I have less than 24 hours to determine how the next few months, or maybe even years, of my life, will go. Either I take the job, travel the country, and come back to New York possibly home and job-less, or I aimlessly search for jobs and move back to Arizona when I can't find one that will hold up a month's worth of rent. Honestly, I don't think that I'm nervous about my future. I'm so fucking scared to see the look on my Parent's faces when I tell them that their only daughter will forever be piggybacking off their business to survive. Maybe that's exactly what I need right now, the sound of my mom's nagging in my ears.

I grab my phone from the charger placed on the nightstand and dial my mom's number. The line rings for a few seconds until a voice speaks on the other end. "Hello? Rosalia?"

"Hey, mom. Are you at home?" I ask because of the times I have called her while she was at the shop.

"Yeah, honey. I just got done with the finances for the shop. You know how tiring they are." She confirms. "How are the interviews going? Has anyone called you back yet?"

"They've been going fine but no one has called me back just yet, I'm giving it a few days." I sigh in response. "Look Mom, I am not trying to keep you on the phone for too long, but I need to talk to you about something." I lean back onto the headboard to prepare myself for this conversation.

"Oh... I mean, go ahead, I'm not busy."

"Well, the other day I met a girl at a bar, and she introduced me to her friends. It turns out that she is a part of a band that is currently on tour, and they need a new videographer." I admit to her, my voice slightly faltering due to nervousness.

"Did you ask if you could apply for the job? It sounds like it would be a good opportunity." She asks.

"They offered me the position after they found out I do videography. I'm just stuck. I don't know if it would be smart to go on tour and come back to New York with no stable job or home." I answer, standing up so I can change into a pair of cotton shorts. Maybe it's just my nerves but it's too hot to have jeans on at the moment.

"You know you are always welcome back home, dear." My mom concludes.

My eyebrows furrowed in frustration. "Yeah, yeah, I understand. I just don't know what to do is all."

My parents have always resorted to the easiest answer when it comes to my life. When I was little and couldn't decide on what I wanted for dinner, they made frozen pizza because it was the easiest. When I was stuck between the black and white converse, they chose the cheapest pair. Now, when I'm debating on how I want to live my life, they think moving back home, where life is easier, is the best option.

The line stays silent until my decision comes to mind, strictly due to one sentence. "Hey, mom, I just remembered I have a few interviews in the morning. I'll try to call you tomorrow." I lie, running my hand through my hair.

"But didn't you--"

"No, no, I think I know what to do now. Goodnight." I say, hanging up the phone.

"Goodnight, I'll tell Dad you called." She concludes.

The line goes silent, and I stand up and walk into the dimly lit bathroom. I look at myself through the mirror. The dark circles under my eyes are even more prominent than usual, and the smudged eyeliner on my eyelids doesn't help. I look like I haven't slept in days, and to be fair I haven't. I'm 22, and my life isn't even close to situated yet.

I take a grey sweater off the bathroom floor and slip it over the top I wore to the concert. My legs drag me out of the bathroom, and I plop on my bed. I unravel the sheets and pull them over me, turning off the lamp beside me in the process. As I settle into bed, my body slowly clams down alongside my brain. Even though I've only known the group for less than a few days, I am putting my trust into this documentary more than ever, because even though I am struggling, they are too. They have a fanbase to uphold and it's evident that they are desperate. "Desperate for talent" as Jameson phrased it. I have everything they need, so now, fate decides where we end up. Tomorrow is the beginning of our future; let's hope it puts us where we want to be.

////////

I know, I know, this is a very short chapter but I didn't want to bore you guys with a long phone call and decision-making. Tomorrow's chapter though... I hope you guys are ready for more Grey and Lia interactions and some... drama???