ENTRY TWO

I admit, I wrote less than I should have on the last entry, but I too get a bit slothful at times, besides, I should only write about important events, I guess I should write this stuff down anyways. So basically when I was helping my family with chores I decided to go out into the garden for some fresh air. When I went out I spotted a girl in rags, like the person from the other day. She was sleeping under an apple tree, then just as I put two and two together, the wind blew my hat off. It landed near the girl, wearily, I tiptoed over to it. I grabbed my hat quickly and just as I was backing away she opened her eyes slightly. I squealed and I then thought, "Gracious.. now I've done it." I quickly ran back to the door, and just as I grabbed the handle I heard her say something, "Is this the Hall's residence?" I was stunned, but I replied. "Yes, who's asking?" I reply skeptically, "Well, Mr. Hall said he was hiring a maid in a newspaper article, so I'll be applying." I doubted the statement, so I told her to wait a moment while I asked my father. "Dad, there's a woman outside applying to be a maid in reply to an article you posted." I told him. "Let her in, I'll be hiring her." he assured me. I did as he told me and apologized for being skeptical, though she just said "I don't blame you" and sadly chuckled.

I gave her the uniform, and once she bathed, combed her hair, and put it on, it was quite fancy for a maid dress, she actually looked quite beautiful afterwards, her hair looked more kempt and her skin was cleaner. "So, what's your name?" I asked in curiosity, "Maria, Maria Davis.." she answered shyly, as if she was a humble maiden in the face of a prince. "It's no less than stunning, I don't hear of many woman with quite the name." I compliment her. "Yours too Ms. Estelle." she said back. We sat there for a moment in silence, taking in the statements. "So.. my father wants you to start off with cleaning the stairwell" I informed her, then walked to the kitchen to make us both some snacks. "I have a question for you, Maria-" I peeked out of the kitchen to ask her, now on the third stair. "Ask away." she insisted. "What kind of foods do you like?" I inquire. "I like porridge oats, though I've always wanted to have ice cream or cake, it'd be much too expensive for me." though I'm not a great cook, I wanted to make her happy. So I started making white coffee ice cream and a double chocolate cake, topped with strawberries.

By the time she was done I had already finished the food. "Close your eyes and sit down, I have a surprise for you." I gave her a gleeful look as she covered her eyes and turned around to sit on the dining chair. "And.. open them!" she stared at the three layered cake and large portion ice cream in awe. "Did- did you do this, Estelle?" she asked. "Yeah, just for you, in gratitude for cleaning." I tell her, even though it was but a staircase I usually take longer to scrub it. "I don't know what to say-I just- Thank you..! So so much." she said, stars in her eyes. "Now start eating, the ice cream will melt~!" I urge her, "OH- Do forgive me for being such a church bell!" she apologizes and then starts eating. She was ever so grateful, she always gives her best in work, and when she finishes I make some desserts and snacks for her when she's done.

-January 6th - Estelle Hall