Chapter 2

Fabiano

I stare at my reflection in the mirror, the scars on my body, they were signs, signs of everything I’ve ever been through, all I’ve suffered. They brought back painful memories, and the pain came along with the memories….

My father is a sick man. He’s a sociopath. He’s the Enforcer of the Narrona, of course he’s sick. I got beaten up for the smallest mistakes when I was younger. He claimed it was “to toughen me up”. I don’t believe that shit. He hates me, I know he does. He does nothing to hide his hatred. Not that I care. But it’s crazy to hate someone for no reason. I wonder how my mother had suffered. I’m glad she’d dead. Death is better than living with my father. I’d have killed myself like she did too but I have a reason to live on. And that’s Cene.

One day, one month after I turned twelve, I woke up to painful screams. I followed the cries to our basement where I was met with the sight of my father and two other soldiers tearing off the limbs of a Russian man. I threw up and passed out right there and then. Later when I regained consciousness my father ordered me to come down to the basement again. He punched me in the face and broke my nose when I refused. He dragged me down there and placed a knife in my hand, then told me to slit the man’s throat. I did it because I knew that if I didn’t my father would slice my throat. That was my first murder. After that day my father took me along to watch every torturing that took place. Soon enough I began to enjoy hearing their bloody screams. My induction started and I said my oath and received my tattoo. I was officially made a Made Men. I was the youngest but the most feared. I looked older than I actually was. Once a month I was tortured by my father till I passed out. It was to make sure that I never spouted any inside information if I ever got captured but I believe it’s so that my father can punish me for my existence. How crazy is that?

Father banished all the emotions in me until I was nothing but a cruel merciless killer. Everyone thought it was impressive that I’d killed so many people at such a young age. I was feared by everyone. People didn’t dare to talk to me unless spoken to, didn’t dare come near me for fear I’d twist their necks and pull their heads off just the way I did once, to a traitor. I got famous for it.

We’d been tipped off that the Russians were planning an attack of vengeance on us for the damage we caused them last year when we’d found out their plans by a homing pigeon some little girl shot down. Father had to discuss what to do with Neo Roffe, the Consigerilie of Narrona but he was out in the mountains on the weekend and so he asked us to join him there. Father and I shook hands with Roffe.
“I heard your daughter was with you too?” father said
“Yes, I brought her along” he said and then he waved to someone on the mountains.
I peered up to see a little figure running down the mountain. It came closer and I saw that it was his daughter. She had long white-blonde hair and hazel green eyes. She was wearing a navy sleeveless shirt and black shorts, showing off long lean legs and arms. Her curves were small. She was beautiful but then I’d seen many beautiful girls in my life. She shook hands with father and than me and was about to leave when her father said
“Cene, Merto and I have some things to discuss so why don’t you take Fabiano along with you to explore the forest?”
“Alright” she said
“Come on then” she said to me

I was surprised, I’d thought she’d be scared and refuse. Maybe she didn’t know who I was.

She walked forward and I slowly followed her but she slowed her pace till I fell into step beside her.

“You’re not very chatty are you?” she said after a few minutes of walking in silence
I was shocked by her approach. No one had never dared to say something in that tone to me.
She sighed and shook her head when I didn’t reply and muttered “Made Men”