Chapter Nineteen: Myth

*The difference between legend and myth is that in case of legend, we have proof, but in case of myth, we have something greater, belief*

"It must be a trick of the eye!" he declared uneasily.

"Let's keep on going!" Chancy uttered fearfully.

"Scared?"

"Close your mouth and get going!" she hissed back.

"I can sense fear from miles away! I can't believe you were friends with Lucinda! The way I see it she isn't afraid of anything!"

"Everyone is afraid of something, even the Queen of Fear! And so is Lucinda!" Devin said.

"I bet she is not afraid of anything!"

"Bet what?"

"Boys! Stop it! Right now!"

"You stop shouting at me! I have just started to enjoy 'no girls shouting at me' and you are ruining it!" Jackson yelled back.

"You have to realize that this is Gem Land! No one is going to back you up! No girls to chase you or no boys to take your insults! You have to realize that you are nothing close to popular here! No one is here!" They heard a rattling sound. It was coming from somewhere near them. "This is not good!" The monster seemed to be circling around them because they couldn't decide where the rattling was coming from; unless there was more than one monster. Suddenly a half-lady half-snake lunged forward to attack them but Devin struck his Podao at her tail. It shimmered golden, turned to golden powder and appeared again. "You cannot kill me, son of Haukea! Or who is she now The-"

"Shut up!"

"Oh-so your friends don't know about her! You haven't told them yet! How sad! But worry not, I will tell them myself!"

"SHUT UP!"

"Oh-you are scared they won't be your friends once they know about your parentage! Well, that's silly of you but I can tell you one thing, though I know it would be pointless, I have an offer for you: join our army of monsters, help us make the monster stone-we will hand you the rest of the ingredients!"

"Unfortunately, I don't have Core powers so I cannot make the monster stone!"

"But your friend can!" she said pointedly looking at Jackson. "And I know how to force him to make the stone!"

"Don't dream-I will never make the monster stone for you!"

"You won't? Well, maybe you are forgetting someone! How about-I kill your friend if you don't make the stone for the whole monster world!"

"Who are you talking about?"

"The one you left alone-on her own!"

"You are lying!"

"Am I? And what if I am telling the truth! You wanna risk your friend's life? I will be around circling you while you decide!" she slithered around them.

"What do we do?" Chancy whispered. "We cannot let Jessica die!"

"We surely cannot and we won't!" Devin murmured. "And I have a way to find out if Jessica is fine or not!" he muttered some incantations in some language no one knew about and suddenly red smoke appeared in front of them. Devin turned quiet. The smoke turned grey and parted and Jessica appeared lying on a couch, a blanket covering her till her chest. She was facing them.

"What is it, Devin?" her voice was small.

"Nothing, how is your ankle?"

"Turns out the wound was poisonous so I can't even as much stand on my feet well but Ms Adiratna says I will be fine so how about you?"