Guardian Angel

guard·i·an an·gel

guard·i·an an·gel

a spirit that is believed to watch over and protect a person or place.

———————————————————————

She's driving down a deserted road, eager to get home after a night of drinking.

It's pitch black outside, the rain is catastrophic against her windshield. The blades of her wipers do little to help with the blurred road she sees ahead of her.

Camila sits on her cloud, peering over the edge, watching as Lauren swerves her way down the road. Worry has been present since she saw the girl stumble out of the club after having an argument with her friends. She watched as her Person got into her car. "No Lauren..." She whispered under her breath.

Lauren squints her eyes down to the dash when she hears a beep. "No, no, no" she whines, thumping her steering wheel with the palm of her hand. She sees the traction-control light begin to flicker behind the plexiglass.

When she looks back up she has to steady her drunken eyes as a sudden flash of white runs across the road. She slams on her breaks, the car hits a pothole and sends the wheels to the side, causing the car to flip.

Camila watches the scene unfold, gasping and preparing her wings for flight. She hops off the cloud and glides down to the wreckage, landing angelically next to the turned over car. Her wings instinctively hide themselves behind her back.

She looks around cautiously, taking in the scene before her. The front of the car, holding the engine and various other necessities, sends a small whisper of smoke to the heavens. In the back, the exhaust flourishes with vapor, the bumper lays just to the side, rocking back and fourth with the pressure from the rain.

She smells something just then, evading her eyes to the source. Gas pours out from the container onto slippery tar, moving it quickly with the help of the rain.

Helplessly, she runs to the front of the car where she sees Lauren laying unconscious in the drivers seat, blood clotting in her nappy hair as her head lay on the shattered glass of her previously intact window.

"No no no no no." Camila whispers, unsure of what to do, knowing the other wouldn't be able to see or hear her.

She starts to think of other tactics she could use to wake the girl up when she comes up with an idea.

"Okay." She prepares herself for flight once more, untucking her wings from behind her and running down the street, gaining momentum so that she can leap up and glide towards the night sky.