Chapter 1

Gala slipped out of bed, her mind still wandering in dreamland. She quickly shook off the feeling, getting herself washed and ready. Then came her next duty; trying to wake Flashlight. Gala spread her light magenta wings and soared to her brother's room.

Her hoofsteps echoed in her brother's almost silent room. Except for the soft snores from the bed, there was no other sound. Gala towered over the bed, and had to hold back her fits of giggles. Flashlight was lying on his bed diagonally, his tangerine wings spread across the duvet. His mane was a bird's nest, his horn poking through the abomination.

"Flashie!" Whispered Gala, nudging her brother. "Flashie?"
Flashie continued to snore.
"FLASHLIGHT URSA SPEED SENTRY!" Gala boomed. She seldom used Flashie's full name: except for waking him up!

It worked; Flashie tumbled off the bed with a series of cries and yelps.
" Gee, thanks Gala, I really wanted to wake up at 8am on a Sunday." He yawned sarcastically.

" Well, now you can join the family's breakfast time." Gala replied cooly, marching out of the room to let her sibling get ready.

Twilight and Flash Sentry sat at the dining table, conversing. Twilight had styled her mane in a loose bun, which bobbed as she spoke. Gala was just about to make her 'grand' enterance as usual when she heard something that made her stay glued to the spot, her ear pressed up against the door.

" ...send Gala to this school." Twilight explained, pushing a leaflet towards her husband and smiling. Flash took the paper and flicked through it.
"Celestia's School for Curious Mares?" Questioned Flash. "I thought Celestia already had a school, the one you attended..."

"Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns." Twilight annonced proudly, puffing out her chest slightly.

"But Twilly, this is a boarding school in Canterlot." Flash murmured.

"Yes, I know." Answered Twilight.

"Well.." Flash began nervously. He could do with anything right now, except for a argument with his wife. "All of Gala's friends will miss her. In fact, the whole of Ponyville will miss her; we are a close-knit community. And besides, what about Flashie? He will be in a major tantrum for weeks."
Twilight bit her lip, but soon grinned.

"They'll be fine. Anyway, Gala needs this type of education. Come on, I'll fill in the form."

Gala's heart was thumping in her throat. She felt dizzy and faint, but she kept her sore ear against the cold crystal doors.

She heard a quill scratching from within the dining room. She had to stop it, but found herself unable to. The door was locked.

She heard a faint crackling of parchment and knew it was over. Her mother had sent the application form straight to Princess Celestia. She did not want to go to that silly old school. All the students there were posh and snooty; the kind of ponies who held their heads high and refused to get thier hooves dirty. The kind of ponies who strut around and sip their tea, ponies who tut at anyone who slurps or slouches. Ponies who thought they had it all.

The kind of ponies Gala hated .

Gala forced her way through the door and immediately started her rage. Steam shot out of her nostrils and her hoofsteps echoed throughout the castle.
"HOW COULD YOU? YOU APPLY ME TO A SCHOOL WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING ME? YOUR SENDING ME TO A SCHOOL FULL OF SNOOTY, STUCK UP PONIES. YOU KNOW I HATE THOSE TYPE OF PONIES. BUT YOU DON'T CARE, DO YOU? YOU JUST WANT ME TO GET A GOOD EDUCATION!"

Twilight was shocked by her daughter's reaction, but soon calmed down and used her magic to drench Gala in icy water. Gala, who wasn't excpecting to be soaked in water, screamed as the water hit her and silenced.

"Sorry Gala," Said Twilight softly. "But I just want you to get a degree, and that was the best college I could find. I do want you to have a good education. And that's because I care for you."