i: what it means to be human

September, 2023
Brooklyn, New York

September, 2023Brooklyn, New York

" what it means to be human "

"UNCLE BUCKY?" Little Anya Rogers whispered softly in the dimly lit room as she patted her way closer to the man

"UNCLE BUCKY?" Little Anya Rogers whispered softly in the dimly lit room as she patted her way closer to the man. She had her pink bunny pressed up against her face, shielding her slightly as she pulled the purple mink blanket over her scarlet curls. Even in the darkness, Bucky can see Steve's eyes staring back at him.

Honestly, it was never his intention to have woken up Anya. She truly was Nat in that way regarding the stealth, and all Steve when it came to the tenacity in annoying Bucky to a point with her hovering. He should have been more careful with her around, after all, she was just a little kid – completely innocent to the sins of his past.

Why Bucky was given shared guardianship over Anya he did not know. Afterall, who could trust a brainwashed assassin to care for such a fragile and impressionable child? Certainly Steve should have known that his friend was not well equipped to handle such responsibilities. The kid would be better off with Sam, Yelena, heck..even Tony. She would be set for life just like Morgan if he was given sole guardianship over the girl.

And yet... she was his. Bucky Barnes last chance at joining the modern world and repenting of his past transgressions came in the form of a 4 foot, 45 pound bundle of spunk with a sugar cravings and red pig-tails.

And now due to his lack of response, the girl quirked her copper eyebrows, glaring at him in a way that looked exactly like Steve did in the 40s. She crossed her impossibly tiny arms against her chest, staring at him in an expectant manner that screamed "what's the hold up?" Buck felt himself smiling a little bit at that realization.

"Sorry baby-doll," The man groaned as he wiped away at the sweat and tears staining his face. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"You were screaming." The girl whispered in a frightened manner, trying with all her might to remain brave against the painful news. "I came out to see if you were okay and you are obviously not."