ii: broken promises and strawberry mochi

September, 2023
Brooklyn, New York

" broken promises and strawberry mochi "

DO YOU WANT TO SWING WITH ME, UNCLE BUCKY?" Anastasia Romanoff-Rogers screamed-asked as she swung back and forth on a pale blue swing

DO YOU WANT TO SWING WITH ME, UNCLE BUCKY?" Anastasia Romanoff-Rogers screamed-asked as she swung back and forth on a pale blue swing. She gave a little cheer for joy as her body is propelled forward and backward, rolling her head back so her ginger curls spew out towards the sandy floor below.

Bucky was sitting on the bench a few yards away from the play set, smiling a little as he looked up from his book, "How to Make Friends and Influence People". It was a gift– no more like a demand from Dr. Raynor that he read it in order to learn how to become more adapted to civil-life.

Anya gave another short shriek as she leaned her body backwards, practically to the point where her head was upside down on the swing. Bucky looked up from his book and slightly furrowed his eyebrows, fearing the way the girl was acting on the swing.

"I'll join you in a little bit! I just want to finish this chapter." The man called out towards little Anya. He really was getting sucked into the main plot of the book and found each section rather interesting. "And doll, try to be a bit more careful on the swing!"

Little Anya giggled at her uncle's concern. Truthfully, she has done that action a million times prior with no problem when Steve and Natasha would take her to the park. She would be fine...but thinking about her mama and daddy made Anya's heart sad.

"Okay!" She yelled back and proceeded to ignore his comment completely.

A little later, the girl did not wait for Bucky to finish his chapter (he was being boring and slow) so she made her way towards the top of the slide. The girl hummed a disney song as she braved the ladder, grinning at the way she mastered something that used to scare her. Still, it was a bit hard for her with Auntie 'Lena's pink rabbit taking up one of her arms as the girl pressed the precious toy deep into the crux of her arm for safe keeping.

Then, she walked up a few more of the steps towards the biggest tube slide on the whole playset. Much to her surprise though, there was another young girl just sitting in the top portion of the slide with her arms and legs extended. She was oriented in such a way that Anya would have no possibility of going down the slide with the other girl in the way.