Twelve

Amara

Raymond just called to say he was only a few minutes away. Tonight we are going out for dinner at Apollos, we go every week and he said I could skip a few weeks since I'm taking care of Mario, but I refused. I love Vittorias cooking nothing would make me miss it. Not even a stubborn Italian man.

I walk out of my room to find his bedroom door open. I walk over to it and push it all the way. He is propped up on his headboard, reading. I can't understand what the book says, so he must be reading in Italian. He lifts his gaze when the door creaks.

"Hey, I was just leaving and asking if you needed anything before I left." He looks to his nightstand where I had placed a glass of water and the cookies I baked earlier. I swear I see his lip lift slightly. "I'm good." He looks back down at his book. I turn and start walking back down the hall.

"When will you be home?" He ask before I'm fully out of his site. "Not too late, I have a key so you don't have to wait up. Not that you could get to the door alone." I tease. I hear him grunt in amusement.

"Later!" I call one last time before I'm out the door. Raymond is just pulling up when I lock the door. I plop into the car and he studies my face. "How is he?" He motions with his head towards the house. I let put a sigh. "He's Mario." I offer a small smile so he doesn't know how hard this really is for me.

I started wanting to be more then friends with him and he left me. Without another comment he drives off, towards delicious food and a distraction. We pulled up and Raymond opens the door for me as usual, I asked him to act less like my bodyguard since we are very good friends but he never loses his chivalry.

  Vittoria greets me in our usual hug, and we make our way to our table in the dimly lit corner by the kitchen. Apollo isn't a fancy restaurant by all means, the table and chairs are all mismatched, there are family photos scattered over every wall, different light fixtures hang above every table. I love it here.

  It's unique look gives it such a homey feel. Mario would love it. I shake my head at the thought of him right now, because now all I'm doing is worry if he needs me for something. Did I leave his cane by the bed incase he is too sore. I reach for my phone and Raymond gently grabs my wrist.

  "He's fine, he's a grown man." He gives me a soft smile. I pull my hand away from him. "I was just checking the time." He arches a brow and I lightly shove him towards his end of the table. "Is it weird? You know seeing him again?" I confessed how I felt for Mario the first night Raymond took me here after he left and I was depressed.

He thought I was still heartbroken over Gio, but once I got enough wine in my I sung like a canary. "It's not weird..it just isn't the same." I sit in my usual chair and he sits in his across from me. My favourite merlot is already on the table and I waste no time pouring myself a glass.

"I bet, you guys left things unsaid." I take a huge gulp of the deep red liquid. "Not really, he didn't know I started to feel for him. Maybe that's for the best anyways." I shrug. Raymond studies my face for a second and goes to say something but we're interrupted by Vittoria.

  "What are we eating tonight?" I ask smiling up at her. "Whatever I feel like." She barks back. I'm use to her by now, she is either kind of bitchy no in between. Raymond just rolls his eyes into a sip of wine and Vittoria places a bread bowl on the table, I could kiss her.

  I'm already reaching for a piece before the bowl hits the table. "You're lucky all the bread goes to all the right places Amara, it didn't for me." She warns and walks back into the kitchen.

"She's a peach." Raymond says while reaching for his own piece. I chuckle. Our dinner is a simple pasta with meat sauce, but boy it's so delicious. I practically lick my plate clean. We bring our plates to the back, Raymond reaches for another bottle of wine. We haven't finished the one on the table. "I can't get drunk tonight, I'm taking care of someone."

"Oh please Mario will be fine." He places the wine on the counter. I shake my head. "Take me home Ray." He nods and heads but to the table to get our things.

My heart starts racing faster, and faster the closer we get to Mario's. I don't understand I've been here for awhile now, I shouldn't feel this way. Raymond stops the car and I hesitate a moment before getting out.

"Goodnight." I close the door and lean into the passenger side window. "Goodnight big guy." I blow him a kiss and head for the front door. I stop when I notice the curtain sway like someone just open and closed it. Mario should be in bed.

I slowly open the door afraid I'll find an actual murderer and not Mario. I take one step inside and that's when I hear him wincing.