Chapter 43

Lisa

What the fuck just happened?

It was like she was back to square one with Jennie again, maybe even worse. She wasn't just sceptical of her, it seemed like she downright hated her, but why? What on earth had changed in the few hours they'd been home? Right after her conversation with Don, Lisa had come to check on Jennie and heard the shower running. There's no way she accidentally heard her from inside the house, down the hall and in the shower. So what the fuck happened?

What the hell did I do?

Marcus and Bambam had intercepted her in the hallway, following her as she brushed past them, still rubbing the back of her head in confusion. "She's mad as a fucking hornet." Marcus grumbled. "Yeah no shit." Lisa muttered. "You think she heard what you said to Don?" Bambam asked. "There's no way she heard what I said to Don. I was outside and she was in her room in the shower. I even went and checked."

Bambam and Marcus had been in the pool house with Lisa for hours discussing the awful lies Lisa had to tell Don in order to stay in South Korea with Jennie. At first Bambam was pissed about the paparazzi photographs, but he ultimately let it go once Lisa had explained that she was in love with Jennie and fully planned on trying to make something work with her long term.

The three friends sat in the pool house and mused ways to break the news to Don that Lisa had lied out of an act of panicked desperation for the woman she loved, which was going to be difficult for Don to relate to. Of all the men at Knight security, Don was the least likely to sympathise with matters of the heart. He was all business all the time, with very little room for romance in his life while he commanded all four teams. The consensus was to wait until after the election to break the news to Don and that they would talk to Don as a team in order to support Lisa. Don might not have time for romance, but he wasn't heartless and Bambam was confident that he would come around.

The next step of Lisa's plan was to sit down with Jennie and figure out a way to get her father on board with their relationship. If they could get Richard's approval it would be ten times easier to get Don's approval. Lisa left the pool house fully confident in their plan, but all that confidence had been shot to tell when Jennie jerked her head from her hands and told her to go.

What the fuck is going on and how do I fix it?

Everyone was dressed and ready to leave for the dinner party that was being held in Richard's honour. With the election just days away, Richard was the guest of honour and the entire family was expected to attend a cocktail reception and dinner party to celebrate his successful campaign. Jennie hadn't surfaced from her room yet, and Lisa was practically coming out of her skin with nervous energy.

She had called Mina while Jennie was getting dressed, desperate for advice. Granted, she didn't really care for what Mina had to say, but she was going to take her advice anyway. "If Jennie said she needs space then give her space, even if you don't want to. She's not a child or a possession of yours Lisa. She's a grown woman with boundaries and you need to respect them even when you don't understand them." Mina's words replayed in her mind over and over as she reminded herself to respect whatever boundaries Jennie was going to put up that night, even if she hated them - which she did.

When Jennie finally emerged from her room, she was absolutely breathtaking in a form fitting gown that was a deep green colour, making her eyes pop with colour. The only problem was her eyes were red rimmed and puffy, void of any light or joy and the sight broke Lisa's heart in two. She entered her space as she moved past Lisa to get a drink from the fridge allowing her to lean down and whisper in her ear. "You look incredible Jennie." she said in a voice low enough that only she could hear. Jennie didn't even acknowledge the compliment or that Lisa had even spoken to her. She stayed her course to the fridge without looking at her, grabbed her drink, then brushed past Lisa again as if she were a perfect stranger - worse - as if she were an enemy.

What the actual fuck is going on?

As the group filed out the door, Lisa hung back, snagging Jennie by the arm before she reached the door. Jennie wrenched her arm harshly out of Lisa's grasp and put space between them. "Jennie please just talk to me." she begged, holding her hands up showing that she wasn't going to touch her if she didn't want her to.

"I don't have anything to say to you Lisa." she said with absolutely no emotion on her face. It was as if she were a shell of the Jennie she knew. Like her body was there, but her soul was hiding and her light had been extinguished.

"What did I do Jennie? Just tell me and I'll fix it. Please. I can't take care of you if I don't know what's wrong." Jennie's eyes were a deep shade of green and she wasn't sure if it was because of her dress or her apparent anger toward Lisa that had turned them that colour.

"Because taking care of me is your job. And you are so fucking good at your job aren't you Lisa." she hissed, narrowing her eyes at her.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean Jennie? Are we back here again?" Lisa asked, completely bewildered by her sudden change in mood and personality.

"Yeah I guess we are. All the way back. So let's just get through the next week. Then you can go home and we can pretend this never happened." Her words slammed into Lisa's chest with the force of a bullet train.

Get through the next week? She was counting down the days for me to leave and wanted to pretend everything between us had never happened?

Lisa shook her head completely shocked and devastated by Jennie's vicious words, but before she could question her, Richard appeared in the doorway. "Everyone's waiting on you Jennie-bug. Everything okay? Are you feeling alright?"

"Everything's fine." Jennie said with her eyes hatefully glued to Lisa's before she pushed past her and joined her father.

This can't be happening. I have to fix this.