Two

[Baghdad, Iraq. Thursday,
May 30, 2003.]

𝙱𝚁𝙸𝙴𝙵𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝚁𝙾𝙾𝙼
𝟷𝟻:𝟶𝟶 𝙷𝚁𝚂

Soon, everyone was called for Lieutenant Colonel Eric King's presentation. Everyone was huddled in front of a board whilst Nathan Merwin and José Gomez were leaning against a table. "Fuck is that? Modern art or something?" Merwin raised a brow when showed the map of their mission.

"This is footage from the highly classified Caelus program." Eric corrected the older man. "That supposed to mean something to me?" Merwin continued which caused Y/n L/n's eyes to widen as she watched him continue his jests, but she should expect nothing less from him.

"It's a thermal satellite system that I personally pioneered." Eric continued, unintentionally bragging about his intelligence.

"Oh, I'm impressed," Merwin replied sarcastically. "Please, pioneer away." He crossed his arms over his broad chest and, while he was doing this action, Joey couldn't help but chuckle when witnessing Merwin's disrespectful behaviour toward their new and improved Commanding Officer.

"You behave like this in all your briefings, Corporal?" Feeling himself grow tired of Merwin's comments, Eric looks over to Lieutenant Kolchek for a proper exclamation. "Boys are just eager to catch a break, sir. No harm meant." Jason was yet again quick to bring stress off from his comrade's remarks.

"Very well." Eric shakes his head and then proceeded with the lecture. "Satellite sweeps of the war zone have uncovered what appears to be an underground storage facility. This will, of course, require further investigation but I strongly suggest it's where Saddam's chemical weapons are hidden." When he said this, there were various reactions within the crowd but the most prominent ones were Merwin's, Nick's, and Jason's who silently celebrated to themselves.

"We got you, you sonvabitch!" Jason Kolchek sighed with relief and looked up as he smiled to himself.

"CENTCOM has given the green light to raid the facility and seize any weapons on site. Hostilities may be over, but there are holdout groups of Republican Guard all over the country. They could deploy those weapons at any time, so we need to move fast. The Army is giving us a ride out there in their helos." The blond laid out the operation. "On arrival, Lieutenant Kolchek will lead the raid on the facility. Once it's secured, we'll carry out a full weapon inspection," Eric took a moment to pause as he looked over to Rachel and figured that it was best to address the elephant in the room. "Now listen up. There's been a change of leadership, but Rachel's operational expertise and local knowledge are just as valuable as ever. She'll be flying with us, and I want you all to show her the same respect. Any questions?"

As soon as Eric finished talking, Merwin was the first one to speak up from the group, "The fuck we waiting for? I'm ready!" Merwin hyped himself up.

"That's tribal territory out there, Colonel." Jason carefully eyed the outline of their destination as he chewed on the inside of his cheek, letting his assumptions get the better of him. "Make no mistake, those people are feral. I take it we're getting air support?" He questioned.

"Nah, too many birds could bring them down on us. We move fast-in, we move fast-out." Merwin disagreed with the lieutenant's suggestion.

"Yeah," Joey croaked. "That's pretty much what your mama said to me." He said in a sly tone, smiling from ear to ear.

"Hey, careful, boy!" Merwin shouted as he leaned closer to the younger man. "If I didn't pull out so fast, I could've been your "Papi"!" When he leaned back on the table, the two shared a high-five. Joey then looked to his left, seeking Y/n's approval, who sent him a disapproving look since it wasn't the time nor place to be making those jokes.