Three

[Zagros Mountains, Iraq.
Thursday, May 30, 2003.]

The trio of helicopters soared through the desert as the rays from the burning shone down on them. "Copy, Mailman Two-One Actual. Air support is on standby." A female operator's voice spoke throughout the headsets.

"Roger that. Over." Lieutenant Kolchek leans his head back as he responded.

"We're here if you need us. See you on the other side," The woman talked in a monotone manner. "All call signs, silence silence silence. Coyote Two out." As she finished talking, Y/n L/n was able to catch a glimpse of Eric King's prosthetic leg while he fixed the hem of his pants to make sure that the artificial limb was secure. She decided not to comment on it, to keep to herself since it was not her place to question such personal matters.

"Game face on, boys. We're coming in fast." Jason exchanged looks with Nathan Merwin and José Gomez. Joey, who disregarded his Squad Leader's previous remark, avoided Merwin's gaze. "Hey, Merwin, what's your mama and the Bermuda Triangle have in common?" He chewed on the inside of his cheek to stifle his smile.

"Why don't you fucking enlighten me?" Merwin raised an eyebrow at the puzzling question.

"They both swallow marines."

Merwin laughs at the joke. "That's pretty good, boy." He admitted, leaning closer. "Hey look, your mama so nasty, I called her for phone sex and now I have a fucking ear infection." He rebutted.

Y/n's mouth hung agape as she overheard the two bicker. "Well, damn!" Joey exclaimed. "How long have you been on sitting on that one?" He questioned the older man.

"Oh yeah, you like that? I've got a shit ton more of those bad boys lined up." Merwin went on, proud of himself for having such a strange thing prepared for the occasion. "Yeah, that's what your mama said." Joey quickly added, looking down at the ground.

"You two wanna cut the bullshit and focus on the mission?" Rachel interrupted, soiling the men's fun.

"Hey!" Merwin shouted, leaning back into his seat. "Only one place I let a woman boss me around like that, alright? And that's between the sheets."

"I'm surprised your mom even lets women into your bedroom. Don't want her getting jealous now." Rachel scowled causing Y/n to roll her eyes. They were just trying to ease the tension since no one knew what would be awaiting them at their destination.

"Damn, Rachel." Joey snickers and, upon catching a glimpse of the boy's gleeful expression, Merwin looked between him and Rachel — offended.

"Hey!" Merwin frowned. "The fuck y'all laughing at?" He shook his head but then calmed down when Y/n patted his shoulder, offering him a sympathetic smile.

"I thought your jokes were pretty good." She made it so that the statement was directed to both Joey and Merwin.

"Why, thank you kindly." Merwin appreciated it even though he didn't show it. After leaning back into his chair, he draped an arm around Y/n's shoulders. "See everyone?" He raised his voice. "Even professionals have standards." He then slowly let go of Merwin, respecting her boundaries.

"Yeah, thanks, N/n." Joey agreed, nodding in her general direction and found himself unable to shake his smirk from his face. The compliment shocked Joey beyond all recognition, his face tensing up as the redness dusted over his cheeks and tips of his ears but a small grin grew on his face as he relaxed into Y/n's gaze before turning his body away to recollect himself.