• Chapter Six •

"Y/N, wake up."

I opened my eyes and saw Zhongli, staring down at the table.
I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"What is it?" I asked. "Has something changed?"

He nodded and I leaned forward to look at the wood. He was right - the number did change.

2

"2...? Okay, this is definitely a countdown. Did anything else happen this morning?"

Zhongli shook his head.
"So... the day after tomorrow, Liyue will burn and those three vampires will come."

I didn't say a word.

He sighed and leaned back.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this. Maybe if... I died that day too then... this wouldn't have happened."

I felt his glare on me and I didn't dare to look at him.
"Do not say that. I am just not able to come to terms with this... what happened when you were a child was completely out of your control. Wanting revenge is natural."

"Well... what do we do now that we know they're coming?"

"We can not directly tell anyone about what will happen, that would make us suspicious. Instead I will clear out some rooms throughout the harbor so that people can easily hide."

"And then, I will have to... train, I suppose. I am quick, but not strong enough to take on three of them."

Zhongli gave me a sympathetic look. He seemed genuinely worried for me, which I appreciated a lot.
"Are you sure you would like to do this? I am not experienced with fighting any vampires, alas I will not be able to help you..."

"You will be helping, as long as you are able to make sure that everybody in Liyue is safe from harm. It would break me to find out that someone got hurt because I wasn't careful enough."

His gaze averted to the soft carpet beneath us. He was probably scared.
"I can do that. Please take care of yourself."

I picked up my things and nodded.
"I'll see you soon, Zhongli. I will get rid of them."

---

As soon as I stepped out the door, I grabbed a bloodbag and started chugging it. I really wanted to bite him the entire time, more than usual.

What if they were making me feel this way? What if they had control over me because their blood turned me?

The crimson red liquid dripped down my face, yet I did not bother to wipe it away. Instead I let it fall on to the concrete.

---

Zhongli shut his eyes as several different thoughts ran through his mind.
"What sort of person would I be if I failed to protect my city?" He mumbled to himself.

The number was still visible in the table, like it was taunting him.

"Y/N, please, defeat them. Defeat them and I will give you the world."

He didn't know how to fight vampires as a mortal, therefore he had to leave it up to the person who he hadn't known for long but wanted to know more about.

"She is like a book. A book that has so many cliffhangers but you can not help but continue to read because it is so intriguing."

Zhongli pulled himself off of the couch and eventually left his home. He was ready to do his part to help her.

'If only I was not a mortal right now... I would destroy the beasts, and then try to learn more about her. She's a vampire from the books I've read yet... I feel... different about her.'

---

"Step... grip... stab."
"Step... step... this is boring."

I twirled the wooden stick I was holding and sighed.
I had no idea whether I had to prepare or not. Maybe they weren't actually looking for a fight? What if they just wanted to tell us to stop in person?

In the book it said a stab in the heart with the wood would kill them.
So wasn't that all I needed?

"Hey! What're you doing here?"

I turned around and spotted treasure hoarders. It seemed they were looking for something, because three of them were digging in the ground.

It was a great opportunity to test the weapon.

I ran towards one of them and shoved the wood into his shoulder. He stumbled, but he wasn't hurt as badly as I expected... meaning a vampire wouldn't be, either.

One of them had a crossbow, and the others had some sort of bag that unleashed elemental powers.

The almost helpless one that I stabbed grabbed my shoulders and tried to throw me off. I was able to keep my feet on the ground, gravity was on my side.

"Is she really trying to fight you with a stick, boss? She's weak, get her!"

I knew they didn't know of my true potential. But his comment angered me.

Using all of the built up strength I had, I gripped the wooden stake and shoved it into his heart.

That must've been a wake up call for the others; they tried to run, but I caught and ate them all in time.

"So I need something more, something that I can really hurt those vampires with..." I said, thinking out loud.

---

Zhongli was in a big room in Liyue that luckily wasn't popular at that moment.
He pushed some chairs and tables aside, creating a large and empty space that people could hide in.

'Run! Run! Get inside!'

Voices echoed, filling sound through the hall.

'Get all of the children in here first!'

'Why are they covered in blood? Are we going to die? I'm too young!'

'S-Surely Rex Lapis will protect us... what about everyone up in the Jade Chamber? Are they alright?'

A deafening, crashing sound almost made Zhongli stumble.

---

Zhongli's eyes opened and he quickly looked around.
It was just a vision.

"Will this... actually happen? No, no... I will prevent it. Liyue is safe..." He affirmed himself, walking out of the eerie hall.

A girl ran in front of him and he took a step back.

Luckily, it was just Xiangling with her friend, Yun Jin.
"Mr. Zhongli! There you are."

He let out a sigh of relief and rested his palm on his chest.
"You were searching for me?"

"Both you and Y/N, have you seen her recently?" Xiangling asked, beaming.

"I saw her this morning. Why do you ask? Is someone looking for her...?"
Zhongli knew he was being paranoid, but his reasons were justified. People could die.

"No... we were going to invite the both of you to watch a fortune teller this evening. People are saying it is really intriguing!" Yun Jin smiled, eyeing Xiangling for more details.

"Yes! If you see her, would you mind asking her to meet us here at 7.30? Bring yourself too, if you're available! I'll bring snacks!"

They ran off, arm in arm.

Zhongli looked down.
"Mm... perhaps a fortune teller would lighten up the atmosphere. I suppose I should start looking for Y/N."