• Chapter Ten •

After a lot of convincing, Zhongli and I went back to his home.
Every time I thought about sleeping, my heart started to pound. What if the fire started at midnight? I couldn't afford to be asleep.

I was sat on the couch, trying not to think about what was going to happen - but it was like keeping your eyes open without blinking. Nagging me, and starting to hurt.

"Here you are," Zhongli placed a cup of tea in front of me. "have you got all of your equipment prepared for tomorrow?"

"Yes." I sipped the tea and pointed to my bag. "I have weapons in there."

He nodded and took a seat behind me.
"I know you are anxious. But you do need to get a good rest. I will wake you up immediately if anything happens, I promise."

I was staring at the coffee table, which had the number "1" burnt into it.

"Are you scared?" I asked, turning to look at him.
He smiled at me. His happiness comforted me, and I was grateful that I wasn't alone.

"I am not scared, per say. More... pestered. Though I know I do fear being unable to bring all the citizens to safety."

"You'll be alright, people do have common sense."

He laughed and shook his head. His grin was contagious, and I ended up smiling too.

"I will go and get some sleep, as should you. Like I have said before, please do not hesitate to come into my bedroom if you need anything. Goodnight, Y/N."

I didn't really want him to leave, but there was nothing I could do.

"Okay... goodnight..."

He left the room and I lay back.
At least I spent my potentially last evening with my good friend, rather than alone.

---

"Y/N, you need to get up now."
Zhongli tapped my shoulder and I sat up - I hadn't realized I fell asleep.
Sun rays shone through the window and I remembered it was the day.

The coffee table was now clear; it didn't even look like it was scratched, let alone burnt.

"Today's the day, then..." I got up and rubbed my eyes. He put his hand on my shoulder and sighed deeply.

"We will need to go out soon, so make sure you are ready."

---

We left the house, and strangely enough everything seemed... fine.

The two of us walked in silence, while looking around to see if anything out of the ordinary was happening.

...

"Zhongli..."

He glanced at me, and then looked forward.
A fire suddenly appeared on a batch of hay next to Wanmin Restaurant, and it quickly spread on to the buildings.

We ran to the restaurant and safely got Chef Mao and Xiangling out.

"Go to the giant hall down by the ocean, it is safe there! It's highly invulnerable to fire!" Zhongli called out. No one dared to object and they sprinted away.

Iron Tongue Tian ran past us, followed by many other people trying to get to safety. The fire was spreading at a rapid pace, as if it were being controlled.

The millelith told everyone to get to the hall as well, because the fire was too big to try and put out alone.

Zhongli took my hand into his own and ran towards the hall. It was packed with people, but we did manage to get in.