Chapter 5

The experience was unreal.

As I took the first few steps into the cave, I could've sworn I felt my backpack becoming lighter, but I probably would've said I was imagining it if not for what happened next.

What happened next, you may ask?

Something that could only happen in a storybook, of course.

As soon as I set my right foot into the pitch black area, I got the strangest, vague impression that I was walking on air, and I could feel most of my weight on my left foot.

And though it took a breath of courage, as some subconscious part of me could tell this was not going to end like reality normally did, and I lifted my left foot into the pitch black.

You probably would've laughed if you could've seen what happened next. Basically, I was pretty much thrown into my back by the air, and my yelp echoed through the whole cave. I felt myself flying upwards fast enough that I was surprised the g-forces didn't knock me out, but then again, this wasn't a sci-fi story.

I would've told you what I saw, but my hair was all in my face and I didn't manage to get it out for the first few seconds of the journey upwards. When I did, I saw a blur of metallic blackness and seemingly randomized blurs of muted color.

Finally, I slowed down as the way up got smaller. I could see a light from a pathway somewhere above me, but I was still too freaked out to feel ready to leave. So, what did I do? But of course, I stuck out my arms and legs right as the cavern got small enough for me to touch the walls.

I came to a sudden stop, and I peeked out of my eyes, which I had closed, to see I had stopped myself from going further. My fingertips and toes were the only thing stopping me from continuing my way upwards.

I let my breath out in a huff, and like smoke, a puff of air escaped my mouth. I watched it float inquisitively. It didn't even feel that cold in the cave. Then, it touched the wall beside me, on a section that was just slightly lower than me. As soon as it touched down, the section my breath had landed on exploded into green glowy light. Closer inspection revealed they were little specks of light, like an odd form of bioluminescence. 

Slowly, they faded, and I looked around more. Like my earring, the walls looked partially typical obsidian and partially volcanic rainbow obsidian. The colors looked muted in the darkness. Though, there was clearly an opening to the world, because the section of the cave a meter above my head was being hit by light, and was gleaming in it. 

Once I had inspected my surroundings, I began to feel a pull in my body towards the opening. But I was scared to let go. What if I fell? The way my body felt like it was being drawn towards the light could all be a trick, all a mind game.

Then, of course, with that thought the pull became too strong and my fingers slipped. I screamed and did an accidental front flip, to where I was now belly down and could only see the light peeking through the corners of my sight. I continued floating upwards despite my fears, but this time it was strong and jerky, like the misty air that belonged to the cave didn't appreciate me contaminating it with my CO2. 

I scrambled for a handhold, but alas, it was air and I couldn't find one. Fortunately, I was soon oriented to my feet, my back facing the outside world. I took a moment to catch my breath, and stare in awe at the lit up section of the cave. 

"Hello," a voice from somewhere next to me greeted. I yelped and flipped around, my hair whacking my face in the process like stinging needles. 

The voice belonged to a man who had a tiny beard on the bottom of his chin and looked to be about 20 or 21. He smiled nervously at me.