Chapter 3: Monthly Movie Night

Writer's Note:

Hi everyone! Very happy to see everyone liking this fanfic so far and voting for choices. If you are enjoying this section, just wait until things start getting spooky. This note is to inform you all of a couple changes: first, I'm changing the dates by a month (all 'June' dates from previous chapters will be 'July', as will this one). This is to make the fanfic work more with the dates seen in the game. There has not been a time skip.

Secondly, when the 'Quarry' events actually begin, Eliza will present the readers 'Oracle cards', instead of 'Tarot cards'. This is to respect the art of tarot and not undermine it by changing names of cards. The purpose will stay the same, as will its function: Eliza will simply just refer to them as 'Oracle cards' or simply 'cards' now. I have made this change in 'Introduction' too and replaced all 'Tarot' words with 'Oracle'.

There is a new informative chapter, like the introduction, however this one is much more interactive. This chapter - called 'Character Information (Items, Stats, Pathways)' - will include ALL the current items of every character in the fanfic, so you can make informed decisions when deciding to use items or switch them, the updated character statistics table, and, my favourite part, all-new pathways.

Pathways will work similar to how they do in the game: every decision made by readers will be listed under this section, but given a name (for example, the building of the communication tower decided in chapter 1 is under the name 'Costly Communications'). 

Every effect that the original decision has on the chapters will be listed here. So, essentially, you can trace a lot of narrative points (death, infection, injury, etc) as a cause of past choices.

I have made a few small changes to the character statistics table on further revision. It's not necessary to look, but I gave every character a '5' statistic to maintain fairness, and changed some characters' stats around generally. An updated table is found in 'Character Information'.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope you enjoy this chapter! I recommend you check out 'Pathways' when you can!

Disclaimer for this chapter: Sexual references.

[ THE COUNSELLORS, THE FIREPIT, JULY 20TH, 9:43 P.M. ] 

Ryan put his left arm under Dylan's leg, his right arm on his back, and hoisted him into a bridal carry. Dylan smiled brightly and let out a small giggle. 

Dylan put both hands under his chin and pointed them downwards as if to show off his face, smiling.

Ryan smiled kindly and tilted his head, carrying Dylan.

Kaitlyn let out a very quiet sigh. She shook her head back and forth, eyes closed, in a distracted manner.

She opened her eyes, smiled, and put her hand on her hip to pose for the photo.

The camera flashed for a second or two, then it went dark again.

E: "Ta-da! What a cute photo that'll be."

Jacob smiled, as Emma let go of him and ran over to her phone.

Nick let Abi down off his back, and yelled to Emma.

N: "Hey Emma! Show us that picture."

E: "Well duh. I'm not stupid."