chapter two

My muscles ache from morning workouts as I shuffle into the lecture hall

My muscles ache from morning workouts as I shuffle into the lecture hall. First day of classes is always boring. All we do is talk about the syllabus and this first class is a history one. Something about the history of Ancient Greece. It has the potential to be interesting or one of the worst classes I have ever taken. I have to take random electives to finish up my major and every person I talked to said it was pretty easy.

So, here I am, taking this class.

I find a seat in the back of the class and plop down onto the second seat from the aisle. I lean back and stretch. Practice today was killer and Coach Mads is stressed for our first game. I am stressed about our upcoming game. NC State is a pretty good opponent against us but this year our team looks amazing. We almost won the Big Ten Championship last year but Penn State ended up beating us in a shootout.

"Why are you taking this class again?" Olivia asks, opening the lecture hall door. She has a class in the classroom next to mine so she picked me up from practice and we drove here together.

"Because it counts as a history credit," I answer her. She blows her red hair out of her face and frowns.

"Why not wait until senior year to do elective classes?" she asks. I shrug my shoulders. Why wait when I can just finish them earlier than anticipated. Plus, it helps instead of having these intense major classes right away, it splits them up. She rolls her eyes at me but smiles, "You are honestly smart for that. I regret taking all of my major classes this semester."

"You'll be happy once we get to our senior year," I say, stopping in front of my classroom. "Anyways, I'll see you back at the apartment."

Olivia blows me a kiss before walking off towards her own lecture hall. I chuckle turning back into my own classroom. Olivia is the ball of sunshine in the apartment. Her red fiery hair matches her personality, while Jordan is the one who you call to bury the body, Marcos is the guy who killed someone, and I am just honestly there for the ride.

I try my best to stay out of the body killing but they are my best friends. So, I help when I can.

I push open the door and head directly towards the back of the lecture hall. With big classes it's easy to slip into the back and keep away from the professor. The professor who calls on people and I'd rather not be the person who gets called on. I take my spot near the center of the back aisle. There are a lot of people filing in as well as already taking up spots here. I reach down into my backpack and grab my laptop. I pull up the syllabus on my laptop and leave it there.

Once again, it is the first day of class and I usually don't have to do anything.

I grab my phone from the side pocket of my backpack and pull up Instagram to pass time by. More people are coming into the lecture hall creating a wave of chatter. I feel someone take the seat beside me but I don't bother looking up. It isn't unusual for this large of a class to have every single person come the first day. Someone sits down on my left as well. A nice cologne scent engulfs me but I resist the urge to look up. I scroll down one last time on Instagram stopping on Kim Kardashian's newest post on some island. I roll my eyes and lock my phone to see if the professor is here yet considering we are five minutes past eight. Maybe this will be my lucky day and he won't show up so I can go back to sleep.