What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

... Gasping, I fly up into a sitting position. My eyes are blurry, warding off the true brutality of the blinding room lights. I try to swallow but it just feels like I'm swallowing knives and my tongue seems to be pasted to the roof of my mouth.

My heart is racing haphazardly, haven't yet settled back into it's rhythm while my body is shivering from the poor circulation of blood. My eyes sweep around the room, unable to see anything but blurred figures. Still I know where I am. I try to swallow again, and it feels as if there are knives against my throat.

My hand finds my throat and it feels fine, but there's this immense amount of thirst that feels almost crippling. I push the covers back and stumble to my feet. I sway a little as I stand, still, I gather enough strength to pull the IV line from my hand before stumbling towards the bathroom.

The heart monitor has stop beating now that I'm no longer attached to it, but the halls outside aren't vacant and the shoes of passing agents pats the floor like a stampede. The water rushes through the pipes and I follow the sound of it until I'm turning the tap to the sink. I watch it rush out and into my hands for only the split of a second before I start to drink.

The feeling of it slipping down my throat is divine. Like a healing hand to a wounded soldier. Soothing, nurturing, replenishing. I moan my delight as I drink. It is only after I feel less like a dried up sponge that I start to become aware, start to hear more than the water in the pipes and the footsteps outside. A familiar heartbeat catches my attention out in the hall. It isn't steady, it isn't calm. She's nervous. Nervous about seeing me And she's talking on the phone. I listen.

"You think so?" there is a pause and her heart skips a beat before she continues. "She's listening. Wanna say Hi?"

"Hi Baby!" I hear on the other end of the phone. In the back ground, I could hear beeping of a machine and some other weird sounds I couldn't place. I smile at her greeting, blush even, as I reach to turn off the pipe and go greet them. As I look up I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and freeze. My heart momentarily stops as I meet my golden eyes, before it's speeding up again. With shaking hands, I reach for my hair, running my fingers through the length as I glance down at it. I don't look at it through the mirror for fear the mirror is lying to me because how and when... How am I a blonde?

"GRACE!!!!!!" ...