Chapter 16

< One Year Later >

Still, there was no sign of the barrier falling.

Although, now, there was assistance in maintaining it while the rebels' side of the barrier prepared for when it went down.

They couldn't time when the barrier itself and lack of magic fell—as it was sadly presumed to have been a guard who did it. But they could tame the monsters, and thus pass through safely.

In another meeting, someone raised their hand.

Amity N.: What if a few people were to go through and take out some of the key threats? Or at least attempt to expose Belos?

It was a fairly simple question, but various people reacted to it differently.

A few were nervous that it would make tensions worse.

A small group considered it suicide.

A large group found it to be a risky idea, but a good one.

Amity Noceda was in the latter category.

If she was able to do something—anything—to prevent at least a part of Belos' army from reaching her family, she would do it in a heartbeat. Regardless of how risky it was for her.

Many had that same reasoning. Now, the former graduating class was old enough to start their own families—without the difficulties Amity and Luz faced. On top of the teachers and young adults who had most recently gotten their coven marks, only to have them removed a year later.

They had that same protectiveness built into their instincts, now.

But, all involved were still able to figure out that they needed time to come up with a plan.

They would get nowhere if they had no plan.

Someone else raised her hand. Her fiancé and one year-old daughter in the center of her mind.

Boscha H.: Maybe we can go in small groups, like Amity said. But instead of doing anything directly, we can try using magic to get the guards to mess things up, that way, our hands are clean. I don't think Belos would have passed up the opportunity to manipulate our parents against the rebellion after the barrier came up.

Boscha's words had dropped a weight of despair on some of the old students, especially the younger ones, who were only fourteen when they were forced to flee, and were subsequently separated from their families.

What should have been a happy reunion waiting on the other side was instead likely to be a wave of animosity and conflict. Even if they were to defeat Belos and expose him beforehand, four years—no, decades—worth of lying would not disappear after the liar was suddenly gone.

The truth needed to be spilled from the liar to have any real impact.

Four years of hatred directed towards the rebels would only get worse if Belos was simply killed. Especially if no attempt was made to force him to admit the truth. Preferably in front of an audience.

Even if a guard did it, if Terra Snapdragon—or anyone like her—was put in charge, she would only spew more rhetoric to put blame back into the rebels.

If a guard did it, it was too easy to frame it as: "Look! This traitor became a rebel! See how violent they are? Just like we've been telling you?"

There was also the other element.

Belos more than likely took advantage of people's grief, and made himself and the loyal coven leaders out to be their only stability. The only people who "truly" had their backs.